Book about a dying alien mistaken for an angel

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
I don't remember when I read this book. I think it was in one of those volumes of novels condensed by Reader's Digest. It was sort of in the form of a mystery novel. There were reports of an angel shot down (I think) and taken to a hospital, where he subsequently died. The protagonist(s) are investigating this story, trying to find out, I suppose, if it is a hoax of some sort. Eventually they learn that it is all true, except that the angel was actually an alien life form who either happened to look like an angel, or previous visits by his people were the origin of the idea of angels ... it was a long time ago, so I don't remember which it was. Anyway, before he died he told someone he had come to this planet to deliver a book. His people had travelled to many planets across the galaxy in order to put the collective wisdom of all the different species into one book, and when they had done so they were on a mission to bring this wisdom to all the people of the galaxy. So then the investigators had to find the book. And when they did, they found that what it contained was the same sentence over and over. It seems like the kind of book I would like to read again at Christmas time, if I only knew what it was.

Does anyone recognize it?

I think it was in one of those volumes of novels condensed by Reader's Digest
I've spent a bit of time going through this list Reader's Digest Condensed Books - Wikipedia but no joy as yet.
Is it possible you're thinking of the 'Book of the Month Club' stories?

(There's some awesome, and long forgotten, stories mentioned in the condensed books list, I'm gonna have to buy a few of them again..the full versions, not the condensed!)

I read this at my parent's house, I think, and they never subscribed to Book of the Month. They did get the Reader's Digest books, though, for many, many years, and when I think of this story I seem to remember holding a volume containing several separate novels, of the same size and format as the Reader's Digest Condensed books. They didn't buy many books really, aside from those.

But maybe I am remembering wrong and I read it somewhere else.

makes me think of Edgar Pangborn's "Angel's Egg": I'm sure he wrote something else involving angels, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
Hi,

Also I haven't read it and it's only the title story in a collection but - "The General Zapped an Angel" by Fast. It starts with the same premise - a gung ho general in Vietnam during the war receives word that they've shot down an angel.

Cheers, Greg.