The Slave Girl and the Storyteller episode 12 - Akiowa Finds Herself

Glitch

Supporter
storyteller_k12.png

“Old story, new story…”

Softly, mournfully, Akiowa sang the Storyteller’s call to herself, but the rest died on her lips as she reached the brow of the ridge and gazed down over the land. A sparkling river ran alongside a birch forest, overlooked by a white rock shaped like a wolf howling at the sky. A rock she’d first seen as a babe, when her father had brought her to be blessed by the village totem. A rock which had watched, impassive, as the tribeless men carried her away.

Home. After the long years of slavery and wandering, she was home. She fell to her knees, one trembling hand at her mouth holding back her cry of joy, tears pricking her eyes.

Then joy turned to sorrow; the tears fell. For this was no longer home, since she was no longer Akiowa, young daughter of the tribe’s noblest man, his dwelling hers as long as she lived. She was the Storyteller, an old woman with no family, who would stay only a night or two before leaving.

Read more...

Thank you!

And thanks to Glitch, for letting me loose with Akiowa's story, and for providing such wonderful images every month! (I don't know if everyone knows, but each story also had a banner-type image -- some of which are still on view on the Kraxon site -- and they were perfectly chosen, too.)

Thanks, also, to everyone for reading! HB mentioned that his then favourite story to date was Episode 10 in October, Akiowa Finds Acceptance, (and no doubt it's just coincidence that's the one with an otter in it) and I know Boney was taken with Episode 9, Akiowa Finds Beauty. If anyone else had a favourite through the year, I'd love to know. I rather expect the later stories would be most popular, when Akiowa is most proactive, but it would be interesting to see if that's right.

This is wonderful, TJ! I reread the entire story today, wanting to get the full impact of the ending, and this is a really powerful piece of storytelling. The ending was so moving, and had me a bit teary.

This all felt very fresh in the second read through. I mentioned this to you before, but I loved the effect of this really feeling like a serial, as opposed to one story chopped into twelve pieces. The little bits of review integrated into the beginnings of most/each instalment were welcome, and really helped keep the previous segments fresh in mind. I really like Akiowa, and was so pleased with the ending.

My favorite instalments were usually the ones with some measure of happiness in the storyline. Among them were:
Akiowa Finds Understanding
Akiowa Finds Respect
Akiowa Finds Beauty

Well done TJ, and Glitch! I hope others will consider giving TJ’s serial a reading. It really is a captivating, moving read.

ps - As TJ has mentioned, the photos for each instalment were great, Glitch!

Realizing you may not wish to divulge the development process of your series, I'm still curious. Did you come up with the name 'Akiowa' as a play on the Kiowa Indigenous American tribe?

A wonderful read.

K2

In fact no, it was an accident. The story came about from an entry I wrote in the 300 worder Writing Challenge in Jan 2018, at which time the hastily named slave girl was called Akia. I wasn't happy with the name as it didn't give quite the vibe I wanted, so when I came to expand on the story to form the first episode of the serial, I played around with a multitude of different spellings and ideas, and at length Akiowa emerged. It was only when I started doing research, to try and give depth to her stories, that I came across the Kiowa tribe -- it's very possible I'd seen the name before so subconsciously the name felt right, even though on a conscious level I wasn't aware of it. I then started to worry that it might seem disrespectful, but by then the name had become her, so it was a matter of keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't cause offence. Which I sincerely hope it didn't.

And thank you for the kind words!

I know K2 will have noticed all the aspects of Indigenous American tribal life and culture I've used by way of world-building, but in case anyone else is interested, things such as the bull-boats used by women and the three sisters system of agriculture, I've taken directly from very informative sites, as I have most of the names. I've thoroughly enjoyed the research I've done and I'd encourage everyone to have a poke around and learn more about the lifestyles enjoyed over the continent. The goats aren't authentic, but that's fantasy for you!

I then started to worry that it might seem disrespectful, but by then the name had become her, so it was a matter of keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't cause offence. Which I sincerely hope it didn't.

I obviously can only speak for myself and my opinion is perhaps tainted by ***.

It doesn't cause offense in the slightest... to me or those that have even a modicum of pride in themselves. In fact, what greater praise is there, than when someone devotes their time to talk about you or your people? And frankly, you weren't specific enough that I recall where someone could say, "hey, she's talking about me!"

So called 'cultural appropriation' is a real thing, but ONLY when it is used to abscond with another peoples' culture to 'shut them out, or, disparage them unjustly.' If I pick my nose, it's not wrong of you to say, "Kay is a nose-picker." So, as long as someone doesn't try to color a people by their worst--OR BEST--traits, manner, or history alone... instead, offering a fair assessment, then no one should take offense. That said, there are those who will try to claim unless you are of that group, you cannot even mention them. Well, I say buffalo-chips to that :p

You'll likely find the people who find the most offense--at anything--usually have little to no relation to it. My guess is, that's how some people try and atone, cover-up, and maybe even try and change the worst parts of themselves.

You just keep on writing. ;) It's a beautiful story with wonderful sentiments.

K2

Bear in mind, though I'm more than half Indigenous American--which makes me howl with laughter for reasons you'd never understand--I never knew my Mother, will never know which people/tribe/nation I am from, and as disparaged as I am by non-Natives, other Indigenous American's view me as not one of them--less than--being a 'half-breed' with no firm link to a people, and around the world I'm looked down upon for not only being American, but less so for not being a white American.

I have always been a race of one. You have a long-long way to go, before you can figure out how to offend me ;)

Again, thank you for the kind words! And for setting my mind at rest. (I wouldn't want to upset anybody, but distressing a fellow-Chronner would be worse.)

My attitude is that most people are mostly good most of the time but there's a bit of selfishness or malice or temper in all but actual saints, and that every race/ethnicity/religion/group has near-saints and complete b*st*rds in its ranks. I try and write human beings as individuals, wherever they come from!

It's of no earthy good to you, but just to say you have my condolences on the ignorance and pettiness of those who look down on you for whatever reason, and you have my respect for your attitude. May the race of one flourish!!

Back