The Expanse - 4.01: New Terra

ctg

weaver of the unseen
fT8Ntpe.jpg

With 1300 new worlds within reach, a new interplanetary "land rush" has begun. The UN charges the crew of the Rocinante to settle a land dispute on its new colony world "New Terra." Meanwhile, the OPA begins transitioning the Behemoth to become outpost and gatekeeper to humanity's new frontier.

Oi Beltalowda. It's back!

As we know it's now on at Amazon Prime, where you can find the whole season ready to be streamed into your device at light speed. They have to obey the laws of physics, just like it's happening in the series. I am amazed that even after all this time, the series stays loyal on showing the real world physics, instead of applying our favourite gravity inducing devices and allowed actors to walk in space.

It ain't happening unless you are in a gravity well, or you're under with the torroidial forces, with the space ship spun up to provide artificial gravity. But then you'll the biomechanical devices like that one Holden is holding in his hand, and you'll might think that's not possible. Well, the Ring in space and the Blue Stuff shouldn't be possible.

I don't think anyone of us really understands what the Ring is and it can provide so many portals through time and space. It is maddening when you try to think how it is all possible. But as strange it is we'll take it granted and we silence our senses of disbelief. What is interesting about New Terra is those creeping flying things. Triblades I would call them.

I was amazed that Amazon allowed them to upgrade Avasarala's language to totally another level. I mean it was dirty before, now it's a horror to the censors. But she made me laugh so hard with her reference to Holden putting his sausage in wrong place.

That man has no choice. He's tormented by the people, events that are larger than him and it's puzzling on how the people want to still hang around and stay in his crew. I feel all of them could have got extraordinary posts and publishing deals for their involvement in the biggest events that has happened to the humanity since the Biblical Flood wiped away the last civilization.

It's sad that Bobby has been demoted to work on a ship yard instead teaching new grunts with her experience on dealing the protomolecule monsters. She deserves better. The humanity deserves better.

To be honest, when I look at the Luna Earth system I only see a reflection of us, and how it will become towards the end of the century. If we don't learn, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes. Our future doesn't have to be Expanse's future. It can be better.

Additional shout out to Belter Pirates. You are strong! Stick with it!

Just watched this episode, and it looks like they are combining parts of book 5 with book 4.
Just hope they don't bring forward too much from book 5 onwards. Though I think they might compress the story, which will be a shame. I like the pace of the books.

Reactions: ctg
I got bored and skipped season 3. Would it be possible to start watching again with season 4? The positive reviews have got me interested, though I am not interested in trying season 3 again. Never read the books.

What is interesting about New Terra is those creeping flying things. Triblades I would call them.
I thought of them as a swarm of throwing stars.
I was amazed that Amazon allowed them to upgrade Avasarala's language to totally another level. I mean it was dirty before, now it's a horror to the censors. But she made me laugh so hard with her reference to Holden putting his sausage in wrong place.
More like a downgrade. ;) She's got a major league potty mouth which seems incongruous with a character born into the Earth governing aristocracy who has risen to the top position on the planet.
Additional shout out to Belter Pirates. You are strong! Stick with it!
Looks like tension between the "civilized" and traditional Belters is going to be feature of season 4.

Looks like tension between the "civilized" and traditional Belters is going to be feature of season 4.

It really has, even if they haven't shown normal people. Only just those colonists. Even the media is made from polished faces. There has been little roughness in Mars.

I thought of them as a swarm of throwing stars.
More like a downgrade. ;) She's got a major league potty mouth which seems incongruous with a character born into the Earth governing aristocracy who has risen to the top position on the planet.

It is made clear in the books she does it to wrong foot people, and also when she she isn't "potty mouthed." then it is a time to worry.

An episode full of atmosphere and wonderful production values, with a slowly unfurling storyline. The Expanse is back. :)

That expeditionary drop onto New Terra was horrible for its intensity, and a great piece of film work. Overall, a slow but even start.

An episode full of atmosphere and wonderful production values, with a slowly unfurling storyline. The Expanse is back. :)

That expeditionary drop onto New Terra was horrible for its intensity, and a great piece of film work. Overall, a slow but even start.

Well said Brian! It was a slow start but you could feel the wheels shift.

I haven't read the books, but I have worked my way to this point and perhaps (and only perhaps) has comparable production values.

I missed this line completely. My one grump with the production values is that I often have to turn the volume up to throbbing levels to catch all of the dialogue.

Duh! I never thought of that. It would make so much sense. Thanks.

Reactions: ctg
I haven't read the books, but I have worked my way to this point and perhaps (and only perhaps) has comparable production values.

Exhibit one in the read your post before you post suit. I was trying to say that The Mandalorian may have comparable production values.