December 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge - VICTORY TO DANNYMCG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meeting the Doctor.

I had been looking forward to this meeting for many years and now it was going to become a reality. However standing outside an old fashioned police telephone box didn't seem real.

Then the door opened and a young woman wearing a long scarf. She stepped up to me, kissed my cheek, handed me a package.

As she entered the telephone box disappeared.

I opened the package.

It was a sonic screwdriver.

Too Close to the Present.

The bomb detonated above the Arctic.

Trillions of nanites exploding outwards, breaking down bad chemicals, rebuilding them as good.

The ozone layer, icecaps restored. Plastic, greenhouse gases consumed, chemical bonds shattered.

Above the Earth the aliens relaxed.

The planet was beyond saving. Humanity had caused its own catastrophic extinction event. As they slowly died, they aliens gifted them final dream an escape from oblivion as they were consumed by the stagnation they had caused.

"Gifted!"

Murmured the assembled witnesses to the newborn. Rarely was lifesense associated with landsense, and there were suggestions of weather and water in the mix. She'd be needing the talents - no father, and midwinter was not a time for birth.

Stumpy limbs waved a frozen sky as she burrowed for a nipple thousands of generations informed would be there. She'd be needing strength as well as luck to survive, but life felt good.

A gift gained and freely given

The guardsman stared at him.
Custom demanded a gift from any visitor if the city celebrated a festival.
And the city always celebrated some festival.
But did it have to be this festival?
They demanded a gift of him – one given to him by somebody else.
He had none.
Grinning he realised that he had something to give. And he gave.
With all his love he hugged the guardsman and went into the city smiling.

The visit.

He was watching TV, but seeing little, when an unlikely visitor appeared. Perplexed, he just stared.
“It’s really me,” his wife said, hugging him, “We’ve been given till midnight.”
Awkwardly at first, they talked. Intensely. Yet, midnight came far too soon; she simply vanished.
He sat, motionless, till morning, finally allowing acceptance into his heart.
But dear God, she had looked so lovely! Exactly like on the day she got killed, 3 years ago.

The Second Time Around

“I can’t believe you, Harold. We’ve been married for thirty years and this is what you give me! My mother was right about you.”
“Erm. Wait here.”
“Where do you think you’re going?”
“Just to the toilet.”
“To the toilet. Now? Don’t close that door, I’m still talking to you! What are those lights?”

“I can’t believe you, Harold. After thirty years you still know the perfect gift. My mother was completely wrong about you.”

To Boldly Give

You know, it used to be easy when the only families who celebrated Christmas lived on one planet. One open sleigh, gravity.... Those were good days. Oh, we complained a lot then, too--but if we'd known then the nightmare that delivering presents would become with humans all over the stinking galaxy, we'd have sabotaged any space program on Earth before their rockets ever launched. With or without Santa's permission.

We're elfs, not blasted astronauts!

Last edited:
Giving the Gift of Gift-Giving

My son, as my end draws near, the time has come for you to learn The Gift.

This sacred Gift - the power to slow time - has been passed down since time immemorial. Billions of folk around the world rely on The Gift being mastered. Without its mastery you cannot fulfil the annual obligation of our family.

First, you must learn the mystical incantation to invoke The Gift. Repeat after me: "Ho! Ho! Ho!"

Angel Unaware

Grumbling, Cheryl took her Starbucks shift. She wanted a better job, but her score on Mars’ aptitude test, meant she’d have to pay for her own education.

An odd customer handed her a Bible. “Merry Christmas. Be sure to read Luke.”

Cheryl fake-smiled and tossed it in her purse thinking “Religious freak.”

Later, when she looked for her tip, her life was changed. She found a full tuition chit.

Unseen, an angel smiled.

A Spaceman Came Travelling

“Whatever possessed you to break the rules Gabriel?”

“They had so little Commander. It's just a small thing I’ve done.”

“Seeding a native of Earth with our progeny is no small thing. There may be long term consequences.”

“Apologies sir but they’ll have a child to love and will be loved in return. Moreover, though his abilities will be a boon to them, he'll grow up just another man.

The Commander frowned. “Amen to that!”

Blackstone the Great

Dusty props laid about the apartment of a small time magician named, Blackstone. Now elderly, he had wonderful memories of vaudeville. Sensing death nearing him, Blackstone wanted to thank the one who helped him through tough times. Wearing his tuxedo, his final performance was for, almighty God.

#

Finishing, he smiled then bowed, "For you, my loving friend." Exhausted, he sat. A happy tear dripped from his eye, upon hearing a pleasant voice say, "Thank you."

An Austrian Christmas.
John's shotgun covered the path. Sarah checked the cottage, then whispered: “All clear.”

Hurriedly, silently, they set EMP mines under the snow and retreated inside.

“Why,” John hissed, “was that terminator dressed as Santa?“

“Today’s the 25th. Guess Skynet’s coders loved Easter eggs.“

Footsteps clattered across the roof. Targeting the stairs John Connor frowned, then groaned.

“Easter egg? No, it’s a Christmas prese-“

An accent came from the fireplace behind him: “Ho. Ho. Ho.”

Star-crossed Lovers

My darling, I can finally tell you — you don’t have to do it alone anymore! My approval came through, and I’ve sold the farm and taken transport to the asteroid belt to be with you. We shall be miners together!

Dearest, I hope you’ll like this gift as much as I. This asteroid mining is not working out well, and I’ve traded my claim for passage home. I’m ready to be a farmer with you!

Doing the Right Thing

“Scrooge,” they say. “Why so glum?”
Because choosing gifts takes time and thought. Ever since that episode with the “mouldy cheese”, I’m expected to shower gifts on people.
Money’s no problem: I can’t take it with me. Besides, my nephew wouldn’t be half as grateful on inheriting it. (And I like experiencing his gratitude.)
One thing that never changes: a live goose for the Cratchits. (Live, because I like to see the present tense….)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back