The fae of Altearth

sknox

Member and remember
Supporter
I just posted a short article on the fae peoples of Altearth. Those interested in such things are welcome to have a look. I welcome all comments and questions!

I just posted a short article on the fae peoples of Altearth. Those interested in such things are welcome to have a look. I welcome all comments and questions!

Very interesting. :) the Irish fae are very different to that described here - much darker and nastier. It’s nice to read a different take :)

Well, as far as I know about fae-or faerie-folk-is that there's the Seelie court-the light, happy, good ones. Pixies, elves, hobbits, brownies, those would be examples of Seelie court.

Then, the darker ones would be the Unseelie. Dullahans, goblins, changelings, banshees, examples of Unseelie. There's also been tales I've come across that if a household had a brownie helper working the chores that was mistreated by the owners of the home, it would become vengeful and angry and turn into an Unseelie.

One of the central aspects of Altearth is that I get to play around with types. I've tried hard not to change things just for the fun of it. Most of the changes come from a few core assumptions, working through the corollaries, then trying to find where in Europa to place those particular creatures. I like to think that all the nations of Altearth are recognizable even as they are different.

I've got one novelette with a sprite in it, and a short story with pixies, but the fae are very much on the periphery of the civilizations of Altearth.

I'm glad folks found the pseudo-historical essay on the fae worth reading.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sknox Promotions 4
sknox Promotions 2
sknox Promotions 0
sknox Promotions 1