(Found) Looking to track down a book set in the 19th century

peeblesdub

I read this story a couple of years back and am desperate to track it down. It starts with a ship sailing in the 19th century from the US to Europe. Half way across the atlantic strange lights are seen in the sky and all communication is lost. When the ship arrive as Queenstown (Cork) in Ireland it is clear something has happened with strange vegetation, deadly creatures and no people. It seems that the world's history is something like a download that has been corrupted by others. A great read but can anyone recognize it from this?
Thanks

I read this story a couple of years back and am desperate to track it down. It starts with a ship sailing in the 19th century from the US to Europe. Half way across the atlantic strange lights are seen in the sky and all communication is lost. When the ship arrive as Queenstown (Cork) in Ireland it is clear something has happened with strange vegetation, deadly creatures and no people. It seems that the world's history is something like a download that has been corrupted by others. A great read but can anyone recognize it from this?
Thanks

I can't remember if the book starts that way but the later parts of the description sound a lot like Robert Charles Wilson's Darwinia.

I liked the book, although I thought it was most interesting at the start and got less interesting the more was explained.

ETA - I've just checked my copy and in the first few pages a transatlantic liner does make landfall at what was once Queenstown and is now an alien landsape.

Last edited:
Great detective work williamjm and many thanks. It's certainly an unusual novel but I loved it and looking forward now to re-reading it!

Back