Writing software platform research

fantapanda

Hello everyone,

I am doing research for my university project and my goal is a conceptualize a platform for writers.
When using software for writing, what features do you find most useful or is there something which is missing and you would like to see?

For example, I've always wanted a tool which helps me create characters - keep track of their traits, backstory and relationships with other characters. I know there are applications which have similar features but some of them are paid or are not intuitive and easy to use.

Thanks in advance!

I'd suggest going through this thread and find references to the software that some of us use and then try to get some working version of each to see what they offer. I think all of your presented thoughts have been accomplished and despite the learning curve involved...
One mans intuitive always seems to be another's terror.

Ideally a novelist with experience with some of the offerings would likely be the best person to conceive the tool needed to accomplish all the necessary functions and any wished for functions.

So perhaps your research begins with becoming a novelist--using the available platforms.

However; once you become a novelist you won't have time for writing programs that already exist; no matter how much better you think you can make them.

I'd suggest going through this thread and find references to the software that some of us use and then try to get some working version of each to see what they offer. I think all of your presented thoughts have been accomplished and despite the learning curve involved...
One mans intuitive always seems to be another's terror.

Ideally a novelist with experience with some of the offerings would likely be the best person to conceive the tool needed to accomplish all the necessary functions and any wished for functions.

So perhaps your research begins with becoming a novelist--using the available platforms.

However; once you become a novelist you won't have time for writing programs that already exist; no matter how much better you think you can make them.
Thank you for the reply!
I understand your point, I have some experience with writing but it mostly revolves around amateur writing of fan-fiction. The reason I am doing this research is also to understand what the majority of users prefer, when given the opportunity to use certain software. It is important for me to involve feedback of my potential target group in my concept, so I can validate the reason for my decisions. Your feedback is also greatly contributing to my research so again, thank you for it!