My daughter loved the story

Bobbiv66

Hello
In the late 90's i read a story to my daughter. She loved it, and still talks about it but, since we had borrowed the book from the library, we dont remember what it was called. It was the story of a young boy, i think his name was Peter, who lived in a city, and found out he was magic. I dont remember much more than that, i read her stories everynight so it all blends together. There might have been a flying dragon. I do remember it was a hard cover book, from the young adult section, and it was science fiction/fantasy. It was also pretty funny, comical in him learning new things. I know thats not a lot to go on, but any help would be appreciated. I thought to purchase it for her birthdy in October, but no librarian i talked to knew it. Fingers crossed to make it a Christmas present...

There's an animated film called The Flight of Dragons about a man called Peter who is taken from a city and meets dragons. Looking on Wikipedia, it seems that the film was adapted from two books, neither of which sounds quite right. The Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson is a pseudo-factual book about dragons and doesn't have a story as such, and the other book, The Dragon and the George by Gordon R Dickinson (I wonder if they were related?) is about a modern-day man magically turned into a dragon. It's not anything to do with one of those, by any chance?

Is the dragon an important part of the book or just one of many adventures in the book?

There's a dragon in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C.S. Lewis, one of the Narnia books. Peter is one of the siblings of the kids in this book but isn't featured as a main character in this one particularly.

I'm assuming it is a chapter book not a picture book, but My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett also came to mind while I was thinking about this.

And it seems that My Father's Dragon is available in the public domain!

My Father's Dragon.

One of the Chrestomanci books by Diana Wynn Jones perhaps?

Hi,

Bit out of left field and I haven't read all the books. Also they're science fantasy rather than pure fantasy so no magic people. But could it be part of the McCaffrey Dragonrider / Pern books? There's a lot of them.

Cheers, Greg.

Back