True or False , Banning A Book Makes it More Likely to be Read

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Over history, books have been banned for a variety of reasons, Political, Religious, or the or societies culture Brahmins deemed a given book or books unacceptable for cultural consumption. But does banning book actually do the opposite ? Is banning a book actually good publicity and good for book sales ? What re your thoughts on the literary quality and aspirations of banned books ?

Last edited:

hitmouse

I would say that True or False is a false binary. The situation is much more complex than that, and generalisations should be treated with caution.

There are certainly notable banned works of great merit which have survived and been seen to be worthwhile in their own right, quite apart from the notoriety that the ban bestowed. Examples might include Lady Chatterly's Lover, Tropic of Cancer.

There are plently of other banned works that are mediocre or simply obnoxious. Banning may be a sign of a limited and intolerant administration or society but it does not automatically mean the work has any particular merit.

tinkerdan

∞<Q-Satis
To carry @hitmouse point further or who know maybe in another direction. It seems that many of the well preforming banned books were already being published widely enough that cow towing to the ban would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Conversely, a book not done well and not doing well would likely die by itself--yet if banned, and if the publisher were to produce more just because of the ban it would also be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Honestly banning books is probably not that necessary in a lot of cases; because they would die by themselves.

However, with self publishing the banning of books might be a benefit--if done well--to the potential readers.

I just can't picture it being done well.

Finch

I don't think you can generalise. A lot depend on the book and when it was banned The last book to be banned in England was Lord Horror by David Britton . Published in 1990 banned in 1992 and the ban was lifted in 1992 . It is currently out of print .