Star trek phase two debuts in 1977 .would we love Star trek now?

logan_run

Science fiction fantasy
If s.t phase two debut would there be Spock vrs xon debates like Kirk vrs picard or would it of lasted 7 episodes.

It might have lasted one maybe 2 seasons tops.The problem was that , In the late 1970's, the audience for science fiction shows, especially spaced based shows, simply wasn't there.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Star Trek: Phase 2, but wasn't this just after Star Wars came out?
I think the market was there, but at the time sci-fi of any kind was seen as kids entertainment and not serious drama. The US had Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica. Neither heavy weight dramas. And after a quick search I was amazed at the number of sci-fi sitcoms there were in the 70s. In the UK it was no different. You had series like Dr Who and Blake's 7 that tried to be dramatic but had to appeal to children as well. Only Space: 1999 seemed to buck the trend.

Remember star lost quark:cautious:

The Star Lost was pretty dire, never shown outside of Canada and lasted for 16 episodes

Quark staring Richard Benjamin lasted Eight episodes.

Ive seen a clip of the show in which you see Kirk and Will Decker played by Robert Reed having conversation . I could be misremembering this but seem recall reading that, if show gone forward , Will Decker would eventually succeeded Kirk as Captain. Sonak the Vucan would have become science officer or possibly first officer.

If the premise is "Another low budget, high concept 1970s SF show like Galactica, 1999, Quark, Starlost, Buck Rogers, Ark II, Return to the Planet of the Apes, Jason of Star Command would have similarly been a failure," I would agree. Star Trek survived by becoming a movie series that was adapted back into TV.

If the premise is "Another low budget, high concept 1970s SF show like Galactica, 1999, Quark, Starlost, Buck Rogers, Ark II, Return to the Planet of the Apes, Jason of Star Command would have similarly been a failure," I would agree. Star Trek survived by becoming a movie series that was adapted back into TV.

Battlestar Galactica had two things not going for it, Too pensive to produce and very poor overall writing
Quark was funny show but, the problem was, no one watched it.
Planet o the Apes much have fared better had Jacobs not died and if int had only been given a better time slot
Buck Rogers , lot film was decent , the problem was the series that came after wasn't very good , less so with the Searcher and season 2
Space 1999 had a very obvious flawed concept undermined the show , Seaon one had some good writing . season 2 truly godawful and hiring Fred Freiberger was not a the best idea .
Ark II interesting concept , but pretty dull stuff. This one I would lie to see rebooted.
Space Academy and Jason of Star Command were at least entertaining and both of hose would befit from being rebooted.
Login's Run Could have been successful with different lead actors and also a better time slot.

The 1970's was a very barren decade in terms of televised science and so was most of the 1980's . Ther was the Six Million Dollar Man which started out decently but got steadily worse as it progressed. The series finally jump the Shark with the Bigfoot episodes. The best science fiction show on tv was Dr Who and yes is many of its peacial special effect were bargain basement, but it had some excellent writing , acting and drama.

Last edited:

David Gautreux was very disopointed in not playong xon he had bit part as starbase commander in tmp.https://youtu.be/7NykTLlyMsg

Back