Database rollback

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Apologies for the issue with the downtime this morning - apparently an automated database update has been taking down servers, especially where larger databases are involved: [MDEV-20987] InnoDB fails to start when fts table has FK relation - Jira

The update also managed to corrupt the chrons database, resulting in the hosting company reverting to an automated back up made last night, so I'm afraid if you posted after 10pm last night there's a chance your post may be lost.

Anyway, back up now, thankfully, and hopefully running smoothly now. :)

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Posts this morning may be lost, too. I posted around 9.45 am when posts made during the day yesterday were still missing; those once-missing posts (two that I know of, anyway) have been restored, but my post this morning has been wiped as a result.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Yep, sorry about that. For a while I thought everything might have gone completely FUBAR, but I have my own manual backup (from Sunday) I could have used. Thankfully any data loss was minimal and the hosting company actually do have their own backups - unlike Hostgator back in 2007 who "forgot" to enable backups, resulting in 3 months of lost posts - and why I now do manual saves every Sunday morning.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
My post was only in the Staff Room, asking whether the server had gone down (when I tried to come onto Chrons late last night and first thing this morning all I got was a blank screen) and saying I knew a PM and a post were missing, so it wasn't important, fortunately!

I have linked to this thread in the Writing Challenges, just in case anyone posted a story or voted and the post/vote has gone astray.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think anything very much could have been lost last night as Chrons was down when I tried. Maybe a few posts when it returned this morning. I actually think this is good news. The fact that they had a backup from last night is proof they are doing their job, as Brian explained. The loss of three months posts in 2007 was devastating (was it really 12 years ago?)

Karn's Return

Holiday Dragon
Yeah, that was quite the thing back then. I remember that one.

No worries about it now, it wasn't really that bad. At least they did have a backup this time, unlike what happened back in '07...