The Trouble with Hubble Constant

In all honesty No...it just means they are working on it.
It's Greek to me. In your opinion do you think it means that dark matter particles have been detected?
Having worked with a number of scientists whose work is more in the theoretical realm(while working at the MSU Cyclotron)the usual method is theory that strongly suggests the existence of something such as dark matter and from there they try to postulate what they need to do to observe(most cases back then were theoretical particles with very short lives and they were attempting to get the best 'photo' of said particle[if it exists].)

This article suggests that they have a device they believe will detect and measure dark matter and that the best place to test it is in the cold Arcic region, where they believe to find a higher concentration and better possibility of a clearer reading.

The only reason I knew about this was that we sell equipment that measures impact and vibration and because of the sensitive nature of their equipment they needed something to monitor its ride from their lab to the Arctic, so if anything went wrong they would know before they tried to use a piece of equipment that had been damaged.

They were also using our equipment for measuring to help determine the best way to package the equipment for future trips.

However, in the article, what they did seem to determine is that the equipment worked as expected and the conditions in the ice region were found to be favorable as expected in containing fewer contaminants that normally make it difficult to measure within the realm of where they expect to find dark matter. Since this was a while ago there might be more current data--however, I haven't been privy to latest developments. I just meant to demonstrate that they are working on methods to measure for the presences of dark matter.

... we sell equipment that measures impact and vibration and because of the sensitive nature of their equipment they needed something to monitor its ride from their lab to the Arctic, so if anything went wrong they would know before they tried to use a piece of equipment that had been damaged.

They were also using our equipment for measuring to help determine the best way to package the equipment for future trips.

However, in the article, what they did seem to determine is that the equipment worked as expected and the conditions in the ice region were found to be favorable as expected in containing fewer contaminants that normally make it difficult to measure within the realm of where they expect to find dark matter ...
Fascinating! Want to explain more? :)

Not sure what you want explained:
Fascinating! Want to explain more? :)

How ever the introduction to the article fully explains the scope of the project.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.4804.pdf--Intro said:
I. INTRODUCTION
Astrophysical and cosmological observations suggest that roughly 27% of the Universe is cold dark matter [1]. Although evidence for dark matter has been firmly established [2, 3], its composition and characteristics remain largely unknown. Weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs) are theoretically favored because they can be produced in the early universe with the correct abundance to result in the observed relic density [4]. A suite of direct detection experiments is now underway [5] to search for WIMPs through observation of WIMP-nucleon scattering [6, 7].

We report on the performance of DM-Ice17, a NaI(Tl) direct dark matter detector deployed at the South Pole in December 2010. DM-Ice17 is designed to demonstrate the feasibility of operating a remote low-background NaI experiment to directly test the annual modulation of the WIMP-nucleon scattering rate observed by DAMA. The expected annual modulation arises from the motion of Earth around the Sun while the Solar System moves through the dark matter halo of our Galaxy [8, 9]. The DAMA/NaI [10] and DAMA/LIBRA [11] experiments, running at the Laboratori Nazionali del Gran Sasso for a combined 14-year period, have measured a consistent annual modulation at 9.3 , which they attribute to dark matter. More recently the CoGeNT [12, 13], CRESST [14], and CDMS-II(Si) [15] experiments have observed events in excess of the known backgrounds in their respective detectors. Under the assumption of elastic scattering of WIMPs, these results are inconsistent with exclusion limits set by several direct detection experiments for both spin-independent [16{20] and spin-dependent scattering [20{24]. New dark matter candidates [25{28], instrumentation effects [29, 30], backgrounds [31{33] and modifications on the distributions of the local dark matter halo [34, 35] have all been proposed in an attempt to reconcile these seemingly contradictory results with limited success.

A large radio-pure array of NaI(Tl) crystals placed deep in the Antarctic ice near the South Pole will have the ability to directly test DAMA's claim [36]. The expected dark matter modulation has a constant phase everywhere on Earth, whereas any modulation resulting from seasonal effects reverses its phase between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. The South Pole ice offers up to 2800m of overburden, is extremely radio-pure, and strongly suppresses the effects of environmental and seasonal variations such as temperature, humidity, and pressure. Furthermore, the Amundson-Scott South Pole Station and IceCube Neutrino Detector provide technical infrastructure and muon coincidence capabilities

Note that they begin with an assumption that dark matter exists and they are experimenting with what they believe might eventually lead them to data giving detection and measurement of the dark matter that the Earth pass through.

The next section describes the device itself.

However I don't want to quote the whole thing here.

Last edited:
Not sure what you want explained:

How ever the introduction to the article fully explains the scope of the project.

Note that they begin with an assumption that black matter exists and they are experimenting with what they believe migh eventually lead them to data giving some measurement of the dark matter that the Earth pass through.

The next section describes the device itself.

However I don't want to quote the whole thing here.
Oh no, I was asking about your own work and involvement in the project?

EDIT
I go with axions not wimps. If forced to choose. Or even more so, with Penroses' Eribons, or whatever he calls them. But I think really DM may not be a particle at all? No harm in looking for them (wimps) though, obviously. All the same, I will try have a go at the stuff you've posted -- unlikely I will be able to make head or tail, lol ...

Last edited:
Ours was mostly support; supplying equipment to help determine the fragility of the device, so they could determine ways of packaging them before sending them out and then our device goes inside the package close to their device to monitor what the device is experiencing so that at delivery they can be certain that the device did not exceed predetermined damage levels during transit.

Ours was mostly support; supplying equipment to help determine the fragility of the device, so they could determine ways of packaging them before sending them out and then our device goes inside the package close to their device to monitor what the device is experiencing so that at delivery they can be certain that the device did not exceed predetermined damage levels during transit.
You said. But that sounds very technical? I'm trying to weasel out of you what you do for a living, lol?

Wearing many hats. Including:
Engineering Support[Cad layout-schematic and printed circuit with limited mechanical drawing]
Customer Support[First line of defense in getting customer applications set up and connection problems solved.]
IT Manager[I set up the present internal network and help determine when we're in too much hot water and need a real expert in the office.]
I also make coffee in the morning--because I'm the first one here and I neeeeed the coffee.
Really the most technical stuff goes to the boss--he has all the Degrees.

Been here 30 years this year and when someone needs to know something or know where to find information about something, I'm like the head librarian: though it's just as easy to check the database.

Presently I work 2 1/2 days a week though occasionally I get a call on my day off to help a customer having unusual problems with equipment.

We make high end impact and vibration detector/recorders that are used in a multitude of Shipping situations and have been used by AeroSpace(world-wide) and Military Applications also race cars and amusement rides and accident reconstruction. Mythbusters once used one of ours to instrument their crash dummy to measure the impact it was experiencing.

Last edited:
Been here 30 years this year and when someone needs to know something or know where to find information about something, I'm like the head librarian: though it's just as easy to check the database.
I doubt they're ever going to allow you to retire @tinkerdan. That's a very impressive resume! Thank you for the response

Back