Discussion Thread November 2019 75 Word Writing Challenge.

**Copies and pastes from last time, with no hint of jealousy over the short-form mastery**
Congrats Mosaix o_O

I failed this month. I forgot what day what’s what and many plates were dropped. My vote would have only made a minimal difference. Cullwch would have been bumped up to the crowded third place step on the podium.

And thank you very much Scarpelius for the unexpected vote. I figured I missed the genre so wildly that I wouldn’t get anything, so u made my day with that one :giggle:

The really confusing bit is probably the title. I couldn't think of anything apart from Birth Day, which rather gave the game and the punch line away, so as it's a spy story I thought encoding it would be the answer. I used the simplest code possible, just moving the letters one place forward, ie the reverse of IBM becoming HAL*** so Birth Day becomes CJSUI EBZ.

That is indeed what I was confused about! But BONUS --- I never once thought about HAL as being IBM in code. :sick:

I'm no expert when it comes to dissecting stories, parsing sentences or grammar in general (be it Dutch or English.) I just like writing :D

@Elckerlyc you posted this over in the improve 75 thread. I just wanted to pick it up here, in the more general discussion.
You mention Dutch or English, and list your location as Netherlands. Is Dutch your first language?
How do construct your writing, do you write (think) in Dutch and then translate or do you go straight to English?
It fascinates me.
The same question to all our members that don't have English as their first language.
Or any clever folks among us that are multilingual and write often in a second language.

The standard is unbelievable by the way. It’s embarrassing really to think I’m barely keeping up with such a head start.

(Just realised I don’t list my location. I’m in and from the UK)

How do construct your writing, do you write (think) in Dutch and then translate or do you go straight to English?
It fascinates me.
Well, it is an interesting question, for all who speak multiple languages.
My first language is Dutch. But when I read or write in English, I think in English. It's not done consciously, it just happens. I have read so much in English that at some point my brain quit translating the stuff and started to absorb the words and sentences in English. Not as fluently or effortlessly as in Dutch, but well enough. Sometimes I encounter a word or phrase I don't readily understand, but likewise I sometimes know the English word but can't name the Dutch word.
On occasion I have translated stuff I wrote from Dutch to English or vice-versa but found that rewriting the piece went faster and smoother than 'simply' trying translating it. Each language has it's own rhythm (I think the German word 'Schwung' says it best) and peculiarities. It works the best when you have the right tune in year head.

@Elckerlyc
It fascinates me.
The same question to all our members that don't have English as their first language.
Or any clever folks among us that are multilingual and write often in a second language.

In 1967 I had been programming in machine code for 3 years. The code for 'add' was 17 (I can remember 90% of the codes even now 52 years later). I was in a team of about 7 or 8 and at least three of us mentioned that when we 'thought' the word 'add' we thought 17 instead - the two were interchangeable. This never happened for subtract (14) or copy (171).

One guy left and went into catering because he said he was 'thinking in machine code' and he didn't think it was healthy.

In 1967 I had been programming in machine code for 3 years. The code for 'add' was 17 (I can remember 90% of the codes even now 52 years later). I was in a team of about 7 or 8 and at least three of us mentioned that when we 'thought' the word 'add' we thought 17 instead - the two were interchangeable. This never happened for subtract (14) or copy (171).

One guy left and went into catering because he said he was 'thinking in machine code' and he didn't think it was healthy.
Just being curious. Anything interesting related to code 42?

Just being curious. Anything interesting related to code 42?

Well the codes went from 00 to a maximum of 19 with a third digit as a command modifier. Hence 17 with modifier 0 was add and 17 with a modifier of 1 was copy.

42 would have been considered as 042.

04, regardless of modifier was always ‘halt’.

Congratulations, @mosaix! Sorry -- been away from the Chrons for a few days. Well-deserved.

Back