The Slave Girl and the Storyteller episode 10 - Akiowa Finds Acceptance

Glitch

Supporter
storyteller_k10.png

“Welcome, Storyteller,” said the woman, as laughing girls and young children danced around Akiowa. “I am Nadie. Forgive my man for not greeting you, but the menfolk are all out hunting.”

No, not all, for a boy of perhaps twelve years stood watching, a scowl on his face. His left leg was withered, wasted, and he leaned heavily on a stick.

“Siki, come meet the Storyteller,” called Nadie, but the boy turned away. “Take it not ill, Storyteller,” she continued quietly. “Sadly, my son thinks less of himself because of his leg. But come, be welcome at my home while we wait for the men.”

Baskets full of beads stood outside her lodge – stone, shell, coral, bone, turquoise – and after bringing spicebush tea and plum-bread for Akiowa, Nadie took up her work, stitching beads into strings. Another basket held finished necklaces and amulets. As Akiowa was admiring them – they were the finest she’d ever seen – the boy, Siki, appeared before her.

“My father,” he said, “is our greatest hunter.”

“And your mother is a wonderful beadworker. You can be proud of both.”

“And I’m a cripple,” he said defiantly, as if they’d argued over it. “I cannot hunt with him.”

Read more...

What a wonderful photo! You've managed to find some lovely images to accompany the stories over the last 10 months, both here and for the banner on the Kraxon site, but this I think is the best one yet, even just nudging the caribou into second place. Thanks so much!

And since this story has both a helpful Otter and a wise Raven, I suppose I ought to dedicate it to HareBrain!

I've been advised that of course an otter could bring down an elk, but "effort".

I think this is my favourite one so far. Perfect!

What a wonderful photo! You've managed to find some lovely images to accompany the stories over the last 10 months, both here and for the banner on the Kraxon site, but this I think is the best one yet, even just nudging the caribou into second place. Thanks so much!

And since this story has both a helpful Otter and a wise Raven, I suppose I ought to dedicate it to HareBrain!

Glad you approve. Doesn't add any pressure for the next two ;)

Back