Not much of a fantasy reader but...

WereAllMammals

We spend 30 years of our lives sleeping
Just recently joined. I'll admit fantasy stories aren't exactly the books I go for. Ironically enough it's the genre I'm writing a series on. I'd just like to know if any writers that do the same. Read one genre but write another. My preferred genres to read are psychological thrillers, historical fiction and erotica.

Welcome to the chronicles forums @WereAllMammals . :)

I started reading fantasy when I'd only read a handful of books in the genre, but soon made it for it later. Now I tend to read a good range of different genres - it's a good way to pick up good lessons for writing. :)

To an extent, I believe we have to read what we write. It's useful to know what's been done before e.g. overused tropes and also to see how particular genres tend to be structured, what works and what doesn't.

I wrote horror without reading it, so decided I better start reading it! I think my horror stories have improved as a result.

Just recently joined. I'll admit fantasy stories aren't exactly the books I go for. Ironically enough it's the genre I'm writing a series on. I'd just like to know if any writers that do the same. Read one genre but write another. My preferred genres to read are psychological thrillers, historical fiction and erotica.

If you do decide to read some fantasy, three suggestions:cool:

Silverlock by John Myers Myers
The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson

If you do decide to read some fantasy, three suggestions:cool:

Silverlock by John Myers Myers
The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson
I've read the last unicorn. It was meh for me. Maybe I'll take a look into the others in the near future