Origins of the elder sign

Erskin Brown

Does anyone know of any lore on where either the Lovecraft or Derleth version of the elder sign came from or who created it?

Lovecraft created all of the lore legend , history of Cthulhu including the dreaded Necronomicon He also drew inspiration from a host of other writers like Algenon Blackwood, William Hops Hodgson , Abram Merritt. Lenard Cline, Guy De Maupassant , Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Dunany, Arthur Conan Doyle and lot of others beyond that , August Derleth , wrote lovecraftain tales that were derivative of Lovecraft's work, he expanded Lovecraft's story fragment The Lurker at the Threshold , Into a full novel That said , Dereleth was in own right a pretty good writer of macabre tales. He also gave us the Sherlock Holmes pastiche stories of Solar Pons.

I forgot to include Robert W Chambers . He too had an influence on Lovecraft .

I'm not sure where it came from, but the elder sign we know today is much different than what Lovecraft had originally drawn. The first image is what Lovecraft made, basically a bit of a pine branch if you ask me.

What we know of today as the elder sign was drawn be Derleth and has stuck, for obvious reasons. It is the second image.

Elder_sign.jpgElder-Sign-Dearleth.png

I'm not sure where it came from, but the elder sign we know today is much different than what Lovecraft had originally drawn. The first image is what Lovecraft made, basically a bit of a pine branch if you ask me.

What we know of today as the elder sign was drawn be Derleth and has stuck, for obvious reasons. It is the second image.

View attachment 57231View attachment 57232
How the mind works... you saw a pine branch. I saw Ogham writing!

View attachment 57231View attachment 57232

That Star is most interesting:unsure: . Im thinking that maybe Lovecraft had a vision of the 1956 science fiction movie Warning From Space .:D

That Star is most interesting:unsure: . Im thinking that maybe Lovecraft had a vision of the 1956 science fiction movie Warning From Space .:D
That film is now on my MUST SEE list!

I watched a Japanese-language trailer for Warning from Space just now and noticed water flowing up against the camera lens in a flood scene.

Werner Herzog (in Aguirre) -- you were not the first!!