October 2019 reading thread

Roger Zelazny: "Sign of the Unicorn", "The Hand of Oberon", "The Courts of Chaos".
The last three of the first/original Amber series. This was my first read of these since their original publication, and I liked them much better this time round. I probably lost continuity back then due to the gaps between publication. Also each book may be somewhat "slight" on its own: better to read straight off in sequence. In contrast, I've always valued the first two in the series.
I may as well follow these with a re-read of the second series.

I have reread the first series at least twice. The second series only a couple of years ago for the first time, when I found both series in one volume at a used book fair. It's waiting for another reread. But I liked the first series the best.

Just started re- reading The Eden Series by Barry Kirwan. Real nice quadrilogy. it’s a Space Opera and if my memory serves me rightly - some epic battle scenes. Who doesn’t like War played out on Galactic Scales eh?!?

Started book 12 of Toby Daye on the commute home today. Now I'm really wanting book 13!

Will probably settle for "A Study in Scarlet Women," book 1 of the Lady Sherlock series by Sherry Thomas after Toby Daye.

John Birmingham - The Cruel Stars.
I've just downloaded it, the reviews sound promising....we shall see
On hold for now, it has complex bits I need to absorb.
Instead I'm starting Joe Country by Mick Herron, his latest Slough House spy thriller

I have begun A Requiem for Astounding (1964) by Alva Rogers, a very subjective and personal history of Astounding magazine from the beginning until the time it changed its name to Analog.
Please can you comment on it in due course. That'd be great.

Please can you comment on it in due course. That'd be great.

I'm about halfway through. So far it will be of most interest to folks who look back with nostalgia to the days of "Doc" Smith and the like. Along with some behind-the-scenes stuff about the publishing industry -- Astounding was paying higher rates during the Depression than most SF magazines were during the boom of the 1950's, for example -- it's pretty much an issue-by-issue look back at the art and stories that most impressed the author.

Finished Toby Daye book 12 and started the "A Study in Scarlet Women," as planned. Kate Reading is not my favorite reader, but she's gotten better from her early work.

Loaded "The Unkindest Tide," book 13 of Toby Daye to my Kobo and will start it tonight, interrupting my current ink and paper, print read. I simply can not wait for the audio book to be completed!

I'm about halfway through. So far it will be of most interest to folks who look back with nostalgia to the days of "Doc" Smith and the like. Along with some behind-the-scenes stuff about the publishing industry -- Astounding was paying higher rates during the Depression than most SF magazines were during the boom of the 1950's, for example -- it's pretty much an issue-by-issue look back at the art and stories that most impressed the author.
This sounds interesting. Many thanks!

Edit: Ahh! Currently priced too high for me. I'd definitely get it if it was at the cheaper end of the spectrum, but though interested I feel no urgency. On my wish list. Maybe one day.

Last edited:
Just finished Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell cant decide what to read next

I'm in a similar spot. I just finished Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams. His reputation is spot on because some of this series has been very slow, but I find myself increasingly drawn into this world and its history and mysteries. It has the depth and mournful beauty of Tolkien with the immediacy and set pieces of GRRM minus the dripping cynicism. However, it's taken me 7 months to work through the first 2, and will likely run me to a year since the third is the longest. Can't decide if I should plow ahead while all these names and places are fresh and make like it's a year of study abroad in Osten Ard, or come up for air.

Thinking about breaking it up by doing a reread of something shorter. I have the original Star Wars trilogy adaptations and Pride and Prejudice on my kindle and both sound like a refreshing change of pace before seeing how the League of Scrolls fares against the Storm King.

I'm in a similar spot. I just finished Stone of Farewell by Tad Williams. His reputation is spot on because some of this series has been very slow, but I find myself increasingly drawn into this world and its history and mysteries. It has the depth and mournful beauty of Tolkien with the immediacy and set pieces of GRRM minus the dripping cynicism. However, it's taken me 7 months to work through the first 2, and will likely run me to a year since the third is the longest. Can't decide if I should plow ahead while all these names and places are fresh and make like it's a year of study abroad in Osten Ard, or come up for air.

Thinking about breaking it up by doing a reread of something shorter. I have the original Star Wars trilogy adaptations and Pride and Prejudice on my kindle and both sound like a refreshing change of pace before seeing how the League of Scrolls fares against the Storm King.
I paused during To Green Angel Tower, as I found that to be much slower than the first two. I will get back to it (soon I think), but it was less easy going than the first two, as the main characters don’t move much at all in the first 300 pages, whereas I like the travel aspect of epic fantasy.

Back