5.16: Fear The Walking Dead - End of the Line

ctg

weaver of the unseen
1569707296_671_Fear-The-Walking-Dead-S05E16-WEB-DL-B4ND1T69-Torrent.png

Facing an unknown future, Morgan leads the group on a mission; Al puts the pieces together; John and June make a promise.

There were more walkers inside the compound than it first looked like. I doubt my idea of letting them out one at a time would have worked, as it would have taken too long. In fact, that many walkers could have easily brought down the flimsy fencing. We have seen them bring down much better fencing before, and yet our "gang" are quite happy to sit, just the other side of the fence, without a care in the world. The walkers weren't put there by Virginia either. I was sure that would be the case, but she did murder them all. If she is short of workers, then killing that many people is a strange strategy.

This was a poor, muddled ending to a poor, muddle second half of the Season. FTWD was much better than TWD but they have now reduced the quality to the same position TWD was. They are hoping to create a third series? They had better fix these first.

There were more walkers inside the compound than it first looked like.
I noticed that. The aerial shot made it look like thousands were penned in there. Yet, when they marched them off to meet Ginny, it was a relatively small, unimpressive herd. Budget constraints?
I would count Morgan as officially dead, were it not for the Walking Dead Glenn dumpster incident. Mortally wounded, bleeding out, a half-dozen hungry walkers closing within spitting distance, his entire gang shipped off -- how could Morgan possibly escape his fate?
What if ... as he is grappling with his attackers, gunshots start ringing out; and the walkers drop, one by one. A shocked Morgan stares upward as the camera shot widens to reveal -- Madison! :LOL:

Maybe Lennie James said: "I don't want to deal with this **** any longer." You could see his facial impressions in the last one.

Not a good season finale.
I'm not counting Morgan out yet, we will have to wait till the next series to find out.

I'm surprised they all just complied. Surely Daniel and Dwight could have left without being noticed.

Strand I feel is in for a shock thinking he can take her down from the inside.

Virginia is not trying to build a future she is building an empire anyone she meets is enslaved.

I never suspected Grace was pregnant.

I have been an avid Walking Dead and Fear viewer since the beginning of the shows. However I have not watched the last 8 episodes. Reviews and general comments are among the worst I have ever seen of any program. Some even saying "unwatchable".
I will probably catch up at some point, perhaps when my wife goes on a trip.... But do you guys agree it is dreadful? As in worse than the worst season of the main Walking Dead (so far)?
Scott Gimple surely has to take the blame (and whoever hired him). As two shows have been brought down from high points now.

I guess one thing is if they wrote season 6 as a final season (which I doubt) they could surely make it an exciting storyline rather than having to think about any more long term plans.

It was so awful, as if written by incredibly young and inexperienced writers with no understanding whatsoever of motivation, continuity, or how to structure a story, that I have vowed it's the last episode of FTWD I'll watch, at least until I hear that they dumped the current showrunners.

I'd be a little kinder. It isn't quite as bad as TWD got at one point (when I almost stopped watching) however, this telling the story by video-taped interviews business, doesn't work well at all. Once they realised that idea wasn't very good, they continued to use it for the rest of the season. I couldn't tell you why they did that, but they don't seem to be bothered what the audience thinks.

For me, this second half of the season was worse than TWD ever got. It was abysmal.

I've enjoyed the majority of the episodes. Some of the decisions leave you scratching your head. At times it doesn't flow right and I don't like the time jumps.
Fear used to give you a feeling of hope and has some touching moments. The introduction of Virginia and the crew meekly surrendering to her has virtually destroyed this for me.

The title of this finale apparently has greater meaning among the fans than the showrunners.
It obviously didn't reference the end of the story line. This season didn't seem to have one, and the series is scheduled to continue.
The Logan threat turned out to be a big nothing. The Fear Gang abandoned its sanctuary for no apparent reason, ignored a series of possible new settlement locations and kept caravaning along without destination. Their public relations videos claim they want to help, but they are unable to help themselves.
On the subject of shoulda, coulda didn't, I think this season would have benefited greatly by replacing Logan with Ginny at his point of plot insertion and running with that conflict for the whole season -- ending with either resolution or a cliffhanger.
I found the most engaging element of the season to be the Morgan-Grace relationship. Even that got shot in the end with the revelation that Grace's mysterious ailment is pregnancy.
Are we supposed to believe that the likely walkerized Morgan is the father? His on-camera psychological reluctance to engage makes an off-camera physical relationship highly improbable. Dad must be that previous guy she mentioned in their conversations.
Yeah, the series is in a decaying orbit. I'll probably stay with it, though. Several of my shows have ended their runs this year, and I'm running out of things to watch.
Any suggestions?

The Walking Dead?
I've also seen ads for a new series Watchmen, looks good, it's on my radar to watch.
On mine, also, along with Westworld when it finally arrives. I've started watching the new CBS series Evil. Still haven't decided if it's a keeper.

Different genres but Ozark, Better Call Saul, Vikings, Last Kingdom are well worth a look if you missed any of those. I recently watched Versailles, which was first shown a few years ago, and enjoyed it. Carnival Row that came out recently is a solid fantasy/detective show.

..Judging by the comments the Fear writers and showrunners will hopefully realize they should veer away from the help storylines.

Different genres but Ozark, Better Call Saul, Vikings, Last Kingdom are well worth a look if you missed any of those. I recently watched Versailles, which was first shown a few years ago, and enjoyed it. Carnival Row that came out recently is a solid fantasy/detective show
Thanks. I've watched some of those, and I'll take a look at those I haven't.

Different genres but Ozark, Better Call Saul, Vikings, Last Kingdom are well worth a look if you missed any of those.
I'd agree with those (except Vikings, but only because I haven't seen it myself.) It is just a pity that we will have to wait so long for new seasons, especially Better Call Saul, which is almost missing a year due to El Camino. I'm not sure where Ozark is going to go from the ending of the first season. Last Kingdom is running out of books, but has a season or two more to make yet.

It took me nearly a year but I finally plucked up the courage to watch the 2nd half of the season. God this was poor. The continued decision to tell the story through interviews is not good. These people are in life and death situations, struggling for basic necessities to survive and they are carrying cameras all this time and making little home movies. Sorry but this is preposterous.

Just like the TWD crew, the FTWD team went from being a strong, decisive group to morons for no particular reason. Too much self-indulgence going on with the writers.