October 2019 75 Word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO MARGARET NOTE SPELLING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title

ONE entry per person

NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own

WHEN WRITING YOUR STORY, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY FORUM

All stories Copyright 2019 by their respective authors
who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at RULES FOR THE WRITING CHALLENGES

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, October 23 2019

Voting ends at 11:59 pm GMT, October 28 2019

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote --
in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers
and the challenge of choosing next month's theme and genre

Theme:

Shadow

Genre:

Mythology/Fable

This thread to be used for entries only
Please keep all comments to the Discussion - October 75 Word Writing Challenge

We invite (and indeed hope for) lively discussion and speculation about the stories as they are posted, as long as it doesn't involve the author explaining the plot

** Please do not use the "Like" button in this thread! **

Last edited:
His God Akainan's Lion

The old man was knocked to the ground.

“Akainan’s Lion is toothless!” his attacker called out.

The fallen man regarded his shadow – pale, emaciated.

Once, dark and menacing, it’d mirrored him in battle – enemies swore it tore itself from him to attack.

Lightning exploded overhead and Akainan appeared.

“I need you, Attaya – we’re invaded.”

He swelled of muscle and rose.

His shadow, then he, stepped toward the assailant, who fled, wailing.

Attaya smiled and disappeared.

Justified

Celendras dropped to one knee, her glaive broken. Four other gods, Gaea, Thanatos, Aevaris, and Aistora stood over her.

“You sought to take this dimension for yourself, sister. You do not deserve to be among us any longer.” A singularity appeared within Thanatos’s hand and Celendras vanished into the blackness.

“I hope we did the right thing,” Aevaris muttered, pulling out his hourglass. “But not even I will be able to tell.”

Without a song of his own

With excellent ear and impeccable replication, Myna joined Thrush and sang his melody back.

Thrush, grinned wide, but Myna saw him not, for Canary sat above.

With excellent ear and perfect reproduction, Myna joined Canary and sang his tune back.

Canary, blinked in delight, but Myna saw him not, for Nightingale sat above.

With excellent ear and faultless imitation, Myna joined Nightingale and sang his air back.

Eagle, dived fast, but Myna saw him not.

Didn't Need It

“Father, Hecate stole my shadow. She said she was going to give it to Hypnos as the stuff of nightmares.”

“Charon, you have a special role. She could be doing this out of jealousy. We can only wait and see.”

“Wait and see for what? Anyone can be the ferryman for the deep and dark underworld. That—” I laughed when I realized I didn’t need it.

The Artisan

There was once a woman who sold shadows. She wove them from the air by moving her hands in front of candles. A particularly fine shadow, fit for a prince to wear, cost a full year. Shadows in the shapes of animals, meant to amuse children, she sold for a day. She earned a great deal of time this way, but spent it just as quickly, for now she lies underground, where all is shadow.

The Creation of Shadow

Next, Kreator shaped Shadow.
“What use is that?” Sun wondered aloud.
“I’m glad you asked,” said Kreator, “It’s to limit your unrelenting powers.”
This infuriated Sun, who thought highly of himself. He split up, enabling himself to shine from opposite sides in the skies, to obliterate Shadow.
“Thank you kindly,” Kreator said, transforming Lesser-Sun into Moon. And thus began Day and Night.
Sun hates Shadow ever since. That is why Shadow hides behind you, always.

The Fate of Kings

The smallest lizard spent his summers perched at the edge of his cousin's shadow.

His hungry cousin asked, why?

He explained it ensured his safety.

His cousin pointed out that shadows could move with infinite speed and demonstrated by quickly standing up.

Naturally, the smallest lizard sped away, pursuing the shadow's edge, but soon the shadow vanished.

Returning, he found only his cousin's petrified bones.

And so the smallest lizard escaped the fate of kings.

Last edited:
The Fox And The Rabbit.

Fox was an optimistic fellow. Always looking ahead to the future. Never behind to the past. Always following the sun.

Fox had caught Rabbit. But Rabbit was smart and always fooled Fox.

Rabbit, seeing the sun, took his chance. “Lookout!” he cried.

Fox spun around. Never having seen his own shadow before, Fox was so startled he dropped Rabbit.

Rabbit ran into a thorn bush. Fox went hungry.

Sometimes, look behind you. Sometimes, remember history.

A Myth Can Kill.

The ancient ship was so close to the cliffs, that they were casting shadows across the deck. Yet they seemed totally unaware of their precarious position. Something was driving them onwards.

Suddenly one shadow appeared darker than the general backdrop. Also a high pitched wailing was heard coming from the depths of a cave.

Only then that their fate was sealed, the ship floundered on the rocks.

Out of the shadows a siren appeared.

The Myth Makers

The interstellar ship landed silently on a silent land.

The occupants went quietly about their business of collecting suitable building materials from far and wide.

Just as construction was nearing its end, a change was agreed upon.
They rotated the structure through 23.25 degrees.

It was thought the resulting shadows would cause a delicious new layer of mythology among the future inhabitants.

Someone is Always Watching.

I am the footsteps behind you in a dark deserted street.

I am the monster in the empty closet or under the bed.

I am the voice that says do it when you know it’s wrong.

I am the doubt that steals your confidence and self worth.

I am the stalker in shadows you never see.

Who am I?

I am shadow, I am chaos, I am primordial, I am Erebus.

Sunset

The red-blazen sun hung, frail, between Vridhogg’s snow-capped jaws. “Four moons until she rises again?” Rin’s breath frosted the dusk.

“Born again on the Valnn banks after battling through Hel.” Hromr prodded the embers, flaring a crackling haze that died all too soon. “Until then the Dark Legion walks.”

The final sun rays spilled upwards between the mountain crags, Vridhogg’s victorious belch of flame, before once more the world was bathed in shadow.

How Time Measured Up

Let me tell you a story
Of Time’s early days.
No structure, no standard,
Time whittles away.

No minutes, or seconds,
No hours to count.
Just days, nights, and seasons
To live one’s life out.

And then came a shadow
Following the sun.
It danced on a dial,
It trapped Time on the run.

Units created
To keep track of Time.
The shadow will tell us,
Just follow the line.

Only the truth will set you free?

There once was a planet where people decided to get rid of lying. They loved the light and the truth so much, that they banished even their own shadows. So, they engineered themselves to be incapable of lying.

As the time passed they couldn't distinguish the truth anymore, become sad and one by one fell ill and died.

Morale: The shadow of a lie, makes the truth real and gives one direction.

Last edited:
Before the Masters came

“In those long ago days Men were free and could fly like birds and some even went up at night to land on the m-“ Ja hissed in warning as the massive, multi-limbed shadow of an Overlord loomed across the assembled field hands.

Cowering they bent and continued their labours, “Tomorrow I’ll continue telling the legend” whispered Ja to the crew, as they silently prayed that today the Overlord Queen wasn’t hungry.

The Shadow of War

Jack and Jill climbed up the hill to scout ahead.
The Duke of York ordered his 10,000 men to advance.
Little Miss Muffett’s pet spider sat waiting to pounce.
London Bridge was attacked and destroyed.
Humpty Dumpty was the first casualty.
The Three Blind Mice were attacked and suffered amputations.
The little piggy stayed at home to protest.

Old MacDonald stroked his cow and pontificated as the shadow of war approached.

Da Capo

So this is death, the old man thought.

As the light became blinding, his shadow stretched backwards towards the doorway, beckoning him to follow.

Doing so, he immediately fell into a great void. Plummeting without direction, he remembered every decision, every choice he ever made, in excruciating detail, again and again.

“Past is but future’s shadow.”

He stopped falling.

Reborn, the boy’s shadow - slightly darker and a little longer this time - reattached itself.

Escaping the Labyrinth.

Daedalus looked up as a shadow passed over, joyous that his son would soon be free.

But the shadow was not Icarus. Astonished, he stared as a shining machine streaked across the sky.

To the craftsman’s dismay, he saw that it would soon overtake his son and watched on helplessly as Icarus was buffeted by wind from the strange vessel's passing. Brushed by the fire on which it rode, his wings disintegrated.

Icarus fell.

Last edited:
And Shadow Fell

And Light shone forth.
But Light was alone.
So Light radiated
Blue, the light of air.
And
Green, the light of nature.
And
Red, the light of life.
And
Black, the light of night.

But
Black, being the dimmest, grew jealous and brought darkness to the lights.
And Light became wrathful.

"Begone! You are banished from my radiance."

And forever more, whenever Light shines, behind the highest mountain and the tiniest mote, must hide
Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back