DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#35)

My short list:
@Elckerlyc
@J.C. Scoberg
@Mr Orange
@olive
My votes:
@Mouse An enjoyable read. Made me smile, and I loved the character’s name.
@Peter V So, my first idea when I saw the photo was a puppet show. I’m glad I didn’t run with it, because your story was perfect.
@Rafellin I really hope that live entertainment never has to come with an instruction list for viewing. Your story exemplifies the loss of something vital in our younger generations.

I can't remember a 300-worder where so many came so close to getting a vote.

Plus a hearty "Iä!" of approval to Kharn and Starbeast for bringing the Mythos to the party.

"I hope I get the words right, this time. Klaatu, Barada....Rikki Tikki Tavi." RUMBLE! "Uh-oh."

Really enjoyed this one — it went pretty well, a little shaky in the middle, but I didn't fluff the last line too badly (disillusionment / dissolution? Ah well, done and dusted.)

Thanks...
Hope I haven't missed anyone!

Shortlist:
Votes
Have a good rest of the weekend!

1573348193383.png

@Ian Fortytwo
@Victoria Silverwolf - VOTE - Darkly Delicious
@Rafellin
@Cat's Cradle
@Elckerlyc
@Peter V - VOTE - You pulled on my heart-strings. Beautiful.
@mosaix
@Dan Jones
@Mouse
@Kharn
@Culhwch
@J.C. Scoberg
@johnnyjet
@Phyrebrat - VOTE - A story of unexpected astonishing creepy coolness.
@Mr Orange
@olive
@Perpetual Man
@Ursa major
@M. Robert Gibson - :speechless:
@The Judge
@Luiglin

There were some real theatrical showhorses in this month's selection, and some real pony too!

My favourite entries were the ones that took lateral rather than literal inspiration from the picture and cooked up something unexpected amongst the stories of dilapidated theatres.

I picked out my top ten, in no particular order:

Elvet
Peter V
Mosaix
Phyrebrat
Shyrka
Venusian Broon
Mouse
Starbeast
Cwlhwch
Judge

I liked all of these, and picking a top three was tremendously difficult, so in the end I didn't.

As ever, a difficult decision. Honourable mentions go to (in order of entry) @elvet, @Starbeast (I can never read Starbeast's entries without smiling), @Phyrebrat, @Ursa major, and @M. Robert Gibson.

But my votes went to @Ian Fortytwo, @Mouse, and @The Judge.
Three very different, but equally stunning stories. So glad I didn't read them before entering; I would have given up on the spot! ;)

EDIT: also, now that I have voted, and l've looked at the votes, I must say a huge thanks to @J.C. Scoberg, @Star-child, and @olive for their votes. I am massively flattered, and smiling.

Thank you, Starbeast, for the listing :)

You are immensely welcome. I was dazzled by your story's imagery that you put into my mind. Tremendously dramatic.

There were some real theatrical showhorses in this month's selection, and some real pony too! My favourite entries were the ones that took lateral rather than literal inspiration from the picture and cooked up something unexpected amongst the stories of dilapidated theatres.

I picked out my top ten, in no particular order:

Elvet - Peter V - Mosaix - Phyrebrat - Shyrka - Venusian Broon -Mouse - Starbeast - Cwlhwch -Judge

I liked all of these, and picking a top three was tremendously difficult, so in the end I didn't.

Thank you for the awesome comment. I'm speechless. You made my night shine bright. And there is a full moon out tonight too.

Voting was very difficult for me too. I almost didn't. But I am a member in training, I needed to do it.

You definitely have the makings of a fine officer. Nice to meet you too.

Nah, I'm only joking. My votes are going to:

Aw-man! You got me. Heh, heh. I was just thinking about you, thinking, "What an awesome guy. An excellent gentleman."

But no..............you're cool dude.

As ever, a difficult decision. Honourable mentions go to (in order of entry) @elvet, @Starbeast (I can never read Starbeast's entries without smiling)

Long ago, I said to a professional clown (of twenty-five years), "I'd love to be a clown, and make people happy, but it's not in the cards of life for me. I'll find other ways to make people laugh, or at least, get them to smile. If I can do that, it'll make me happy."

Thanks man, Stay awesome.

Well done, everyone! A nice variety of tales. It was very difficult to narrow down my favorites, but ultimately, the following is my Short List and *** Favorites ***:

*** Fade to White - Victoria Silverwolf ***

Child's Play – Rafellin
*** Obituary – Eickerlyc ***
Shall We Dance? – elvet
A Toy Story - Peter V
… They Have Their Entrances and Their Exits … - mosaix
The Fourth Wall - Star-child
The Peculiar Incident Experienced by Mr Nempnett Thrubwell – Mouse
*** A Horseless Carriage – Phyrebrat ***
A Fool's Paradise - Mr Orange
The Final Stage – The Judge

Thanks for the mentions by M. Robert Gibson, chrispenycate, Ian FortyTwo, Daysman, and Starbeast and the much appreciated vote by mosaix!

Last edited:
Well done, everyone! A nice variety of tales. It was very difficult to narrow down my favorites, but ultimately, the following is my Short List and *** Favorites ***:

Thanks for the mentions by M. Robert Gibson, chrispenycate, Ian FortyTwo, Daysman, and Starbeast and the much appreciated vote by mosaix!

You're mighty welcome, my friend.

Reading "The Audience" was an eerie tale. It would make a great Outer Limits episode. I just read it again. Eerie..............

I am a retired person who lost track of the calendar ... so, a quick post to list favorites, and my votes:

Shortlist:
Elckerlyc, elvet, mosaix, Star-child, Mouse, Venusian Broon, LittleStar, Phyrebrat

Votes:
Victoria Silverwolf, Peter V, The Judge.

I seem to have gone for the top three vote earners, so no change in position, there. Wanted to thank Alex Harford for the terrific, inspiring photo. Tons of good stories were inspired by it. Best of luck to everyone in the rest of the voting!