DISCUSSION -- OCTOBER 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#35)

From zero ideas to 290+ words in fifteen minutes. As I sometimes have to, I just wrote a line and the rest of the story more or less wrote itself. Bit of tweaking needed but it's more or less done. The only issue is the title.

I have spent two days waiting for it to jump out at me from the page. It's being very stubborn!

From zero ideas to 290+ words in fifteen minutes. As I sometimes have to, I just wrote a line and the rest of the story more or less wrote itself. Bit of tweaking needed but it's more or less done.
It's the same with me. I suppose the brain needs something, some basic but concrete idea, to get it's creative hooks in.

Day 15

It's close to Midnight. 49F outside, cloudy. I'm feasting on a bowl of Boo Berry cereal.

I sigh. My Muse escaped my laboratory. It's roaming the countryside, frightening villagers, and eating the local wildlife.

Well. I finished my cereal. My truck is loaded with gear. Give me about week or so to bring it back.

Day 15

It's close to Midnight. 49F outside, cloudy. I'm feasting on a bowl of Boo Berry cereal.

I sigh. My Muse escaped my laboratory. It's roaming the countryside, frightening villagers, and eating the local wildlife.

Well. I finished my cereal. My truck is loaded with gear. Give me about week or so to bring it back.
Good luck hunting your muse!
Though I keep wondering why you would keep your muse in a laboratory, of all place. That's no way to treat your muse.

@Elckerlyc You don't know my Muse. It will stay up late watching TV, raid my fridge, talk for hours on it's cell phone to it's friends who live a block away from me. Oh yeah, and doesn't pick up after itself, among other lazy things it does.

I'm communicating by ham radio to you. I'm camped out deep in the woods. I'm currently looking through binoculars, while atop a tree I climbed up. No sign of the Muse yet.

"Getting thirsty. Ah. My trusty canteen. Whoa, whoa, whoaaaaa. AAAAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee.....!" THUD

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh... Are you hurt?
It's clear you are neglecting your muse. Everything it does screams lack of attention.

@Elckerlyc I've learned, not to handle too many things while atop a tree. And second, landing on a grizzly bear, can break your fall.

Any way. I know I should spend more time with it. I was planning to take it hunting. So, it, kinda worked out. Except of course, I'm hunting him.

Well. I've got a grizzly to cook on a spit. The smell of cooking meat may attract the Muse.

Oh yeah. I need to build a tiger trap to ensnare it.

D3athw4lker: In this droll tale we see how the proud may be reduced to the ridiculous through the force of circumstances. By making use of the classic technique of contrasting the extraordinary with the mundane, the author creates a true sense of comedy.

elvet: The importance of memory comes across clearly in this fable of the struggle we all make against time. By witnessing the transformation of the protagonist through the eyes of a loved one, we come to understand the bittersweet poignancy of reminiscence.

Peter V: In this subtle and ambiguous story, the author demonstrates the power of imagination, particularly in one otherwise limited in the ability to escape a painful situation. By leaving the interpretation of events to the reader, the theme reinforces itself.

It's very good, Peter V. Such poignancy! Nice string of stories posted after mine.

I thought muses were attracted by apple with cinnamon on it. although that may be possums.
download.jpeg

Day 17

@Mr Orange & @dannymcg gave me a chuckle. Thanks.

I found Muse tracks in a canyon. They lead to a cave.....I think I have it cornered.

If you don't hear from me in a week, call Batman.

Uh-oh. I think, it's behind me....

TomUK: The author creates a great deal of tension in this suspenseful tale of danger and pursuit. Yet there is also a deeper meaning in this adventure story, which ponders the question of whether our actions are truly our own, or are directed by others.

dannymcg: In this grim horror story we witness a struggle against evils that seem impossible to escape. By adding a subtle futuristic touch to the setting, the author forces us to consider whether a drastic change in society could cause us to abandon all decency.