(Found) Looking for the story about a Travel agent offering trip to new place of your dreams

Betty Swallox

Possibly Ray Bradbury short story. A new travel agency has advt in window for trip of a lifetime to place of your dreams. Sets a place and time, bring all your cash to a shed somewhere... sound of his car driving away...

Possibly Ray Bradbury short story. A new travel agency has advt in window for trip of a lifetime to place of your dreams. Sets a place and time, bring all your cash to a shed somewhere... sound of his car driving away...
Was that the one where the protagonist got tired of waiting and left, leaving other passengers in the barn, and then heard a sound but he dashed back too late... he'd missed the opportunity?

Not sure about the car ?
But are you thinking of Phillip K Dick's We can remember it for you wholesale

He released the door; it slid closed, snipping off the wavering beam of his flashlight; and a moment later we heard the motor start and the bus lumber away in low gear.

I think @Nozzle Velocity is spot on (@dannymcg too): here's a link to the text of the story:

I knew I'd read it, I just couldn't place it.

Was that the one where the protagonist got tired of waiting and left, leaving other passengers in the barn, and then heard a sound but he dashed back too late... he'd missed the opportunity?
yes thats the one
Not sure about the car ?
But are you thinking of Phillip K Dick's We can remember it for you wholesale
ah yes it was a bus, not a car. So perfect, poignant, painful a story, like any glimpse beyond we have all surely had, or weren't paying attention

He released the door; it slid closed, snipping off the wavering beam of his flashlight; and a moment later we heard the motor start and the bus lumber away in low gear.

I think @Nozzle Velocity is spot on (@dannymcg too): here's a link to the text of the story:

I knew I'd read it, I just couldn't place it.
thanks, another solid brick in my alternative alzheimer reality

Back