"A Pint of Bitter, Please."

There's a brew made by Carlsberg (pretty sure it was Carlsberg) called "Elephant" (in Denmark The Order Of The Elephant is the highest award), it's pretty strong stuff, by far the strongest beer I've ever drunk.
I got it from Amazon, just tried to look it up but it seems to be no longer there sadly, the story of my life!
I say it's strong because the alcohol per volume was 10 per cent plus instead of 4/5 per cent as with most beers, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, possible it might be based on wheat?
Anyway it was a fairly decent brew if anyone should stumbled across it.

There's a brew made by Carlsberg (pretty sure it was Carlsberg) called "Elephant" (in Denmark The Order Of The Elephant is the highest award), it's pretty strong stuff, by far the strongest beer I've ever drunk.
I got it from Amazon, just tried to look it up but it seems to be no longer there sadly, the story of my life!
I say it's strong because the alcohol per volume was 10 per cent plus instead of 4/5 per cent as with most beers, but it's a bit of an acquired taste, possible it might be based on wheat?
Anyway it was a fairly decent brew if anyone should stumbled across it.
I've found I like malty beers in the 9-10% ABV range. Started with a local Polish restaurant that had (I think) Zywiec Porter, which was dark, malty and as smooth as caramel, and usually had me feeling my head was floating a couple of inches above my shoulders before the food arrived.

REF: AE35Unit.
Sorry I've heard of Barley Wine but never tried it, must keep a look out for it.
Just remembered, there was a rather nice beer my father liked in the dim and distant past.
It was in a can and called "Colt 45" , had a tin once when I was a hell of a lot younger with a post Christmas chicken sandwich, was not a beer drinker yet but to me it tasted pretty good, not a bad brew at all!

Last edited:
I've found I like malty beers in the 9-10% ABV range. Started with a local Polish restaurant that had (I think) Zywiec Porter, which was dark, malty and as smooth as caramel, and usually had me feeling my head was floating a couple of inches above my shoulders before the food arrived.
Aw sh*t I love Zywiec man. In 2018 I was in Poland. Well, you could say one of, if not the, best friend I have ever had lives in Poland. They have great beer.

I was just telling the clerk at the Circle K tonight, while picking up Rare Reserve, well, he thought Rare Reserve was potato vodka. And I tells him, I says, “Oh! Like Luksusowa then?” But it’s wheat. He looked kinda downtrodden, either that or like he thought I might actually be a cool guy to hang out with, if I wasn’t a bum. I told him Stolichnaya is actually from Latvia.

But Poland, amazing beer.

Was this before or after you’d consumed the contents?
Ha!
Genuine memory, poverty stricken young apprentices and none us was prepared to try and actually ring the number.
All the way to Canada? How much would we have to put into the call box?

There's a brew made by Carlsberg (pretty sure it was Carlsberg) called "Elephant"
I wonder if that was like Carlsberg's Special Brew 7.5%

Elephant and Special Brew aren't the same thing. You could buy Elephant in Denmark at least as early as 1980. My wife drank it and she doesn't even like beer. Carlsberg drunk in Denmark is stronger than the exported version, you can also get dark Carlsberg lagers in Sweden. There is a larger range, but then the range of other breweries is very small. Things might be changing now, just as they are elsewhere with the growth of microbreweries everywhere.

In the 1980's, cheap, high ABV drinks like Carlberg Special Brew and Diamond White Cider were known as the drinks of choice by kids that just wanted to get wasted at teenage parties. I don't really like beer that strong, though Robinsons Old Tom would be my choice among high ABV beers.

I find cider is usually too sweet for my tastes. On holiday in Somerset we used to get local farm-made Scrumpy which was unfiltered and had lumps of apple floating in it. It was surprisingly good if a little chewy!

Mead - it's a no from me, I'm afraid. Only slightly better than Tequila. It's Whisky, Gin or Vodka for me. Or Kraken Rum! We occasionally drink other things on holidays abroad and, like everyone else, brings a bottle home. It's never the same at home and the bottle just sits in a cupboard for years.

I don't actually like beer, or lager. Had a Guinness the other week after a long time. Hated it. I'm sticking with cider

I once worked with a guy who said “I’d like to drink Guinness but I don’t like the taste”.

I had to bite my tongue. To me, just represents a triumph for the hateful advertising industry.

Pabst Blue Ribbon kind of guy meself.
Call me a redleg. But if I’m to live in America, then I want to at least embrace some of it’s culture.

But get me to Europe. I’ll drink all the Desperadoes I want, pilsner with a shot of tequila in it.

3B112A2A-B1C9-437A-8B3E-739CD5313515.jpeg

My best friend is in Texas for work and gets as much Shiner Bock as he wants. Amber Bock, being my favorite beer, I’m very jealous. Bocks and Pilsners all the way for me.

Your best bet, @Extollager is to visit the U.K. and experience the stuff at first hand.

Here in Bridgnorth we have an annual beer festival (not this year though) based at the Severn Valley Railway. You could experience the delight of a pint of best bitter and a trip on a steam railway at the same time.
Mosaix, is this location known to you:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jo Zebedee Writing Resources 3
Toby Frost Toby Frost 0
Mouse Writing Discussion 39
rune Book Discussion 13
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Book Discussion 20