Books you should Read.

I saw 1984 posted a couple times on here. I hadn't read a book in a while a little while back I was just busy doing other things but decided to get back into it. First one I picked up was 1984. Tough read being the first in a while. It took me a little bit to get into it but I got through it. Maybe if I read it again after since I have gone through many books since I may appreciate it more. However I do understand why its a must read and how well written it was.

Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner

The trick of reading this -- and most Faulkner -- is to just let go and read. In 50 pages or so you'll probably think, wait! What have I been reading? A quick review and you'll find you got it. If you fight it, if you don't fall into the rhythm, you'll struggle (AND I'll just note that the word "AND" for a word that carries little stress in the poetry I've read, hits like a hammer on an anvil in Faulkner) . But just sitting back and watching the view as Faulkner drives works pretty well. And eventually you may recognize that the lush wordage isn't really excessive, and what you're reading is a mystery novel, just not a who-dun-it, but a why-dun-it, each conjectured motive a bit more horrific than the last. Faulkner is said to have read mystery writers like Hammett (a drinking partner in Hollywood) and Rex Stout. He later wrote some short stories that were at least marketed as mysteries, and Intruder in the Dust which is a mystery and also a precursor of To Kill a Mockingbird in its plot, and Light in August and Sanctuary which are crime novels. He liked the form and it informed his writing.

Randy M.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (uniquely surreal)
Momo by Michael Ende (a fantasy like no other)
The Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boule (quite different from the movies)
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (vampire lovers, here's a sci-fi twist)
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (a warning that must be considered)
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (disturbing but fun)
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (philosophical)

Past Master by R A Lafferty I would put this under must read science fiction. :cool:

Should read?, thats very strong wording...

I have 3 I would recommend as must reads but two arent in this category of books, so branch out and try something different.

1. HP Lovecraft, anything really its all very good (Father of Horror, delivers a master class)
2. Get Carter by Ted Lewis (and afterwards read GBH by same) (Ultimate anti-hero and GBH Ultimate Psycho)
3. Paul Cain Seven Slayers (high point in the ultra hard-boiled detective novels from the 1940s)

Back