Balancing multiple novels

Josh K

Now that draft 2 of my novel is complete, i want to begin work on my next novel. A romance set in a fantasy world. I just came up with a powerful scene tonight and I can already see how I'm going to spin the story to get the right feeling.

Anyways, onto the topic. For my first novel I'm starting the beta reader process,. I also realize that I need to do a draft 3 of the work - this draft will be mostly clean up. Sentences, word choice, a lot of fine details in the language itself. However, I think I won't be going at such a breakneck speed because I'll probably just keep to the pace of my beta readers and really savor the experience of perfecting my work. Because of this, I think I'll have time to work on my next novel.

Does anyone have experience working on 2 novels at once? How do you manage the time? I am a pretty obsessive person, and I'm wondering if this is the right move. Maybe I should just stick to finishing up my first novel first. However, I'm fairly certain I won't be publishing my first novel any time soon - I need some other published works before any editors will accept a novel of ~250k words (might be possible to cut to low 200k numbers, but I'm not sure if it'll get much lower unless I split it, which actually is an option since it follows two arcs that separate fairly early).

Anyways, just wondering if people have thoughts or opinions on this. It's a pretty big shift for me after being obsessed with my novel for nearly a year.

I find it difficult to focus on just one story - but also to write more than one at the same time. :)

I usually have a main project I focus on, but also write notes and scenes for other stories, as they come to me.

Oh. Look a trainee plate spinner :D

I think it's a skill that comes with time, like writing. You build. Switching between naratives risks loss of voice - every book/story/game has it's own.
I know people who keep notebooks for each project. Others that map stuff on their wall. Or pick up the train of edit/thought by looking back over the day previous. An hour on one, an hour on the other. (or some other kind of equal time split)
We all managed to endure multiple lesson topics for 5 hour a day at school so we should, supposedly, be able to do more than one story at once.

Some stories are easier than others because of complex, multiple subplots.

Good Luck on your quest, brave one :D

I like to work on one novel at a time. I don't see much point sitting on a draft once finished, so I edit straight away then get it off to my two trusty readers for notes, then continue editing until it's ready to submit to agents/publishers. I then start a new novel while submitting the previous one..

I would like to be able to work on more than one novel at a time, but I've found it doesn't work for me as I need to be obsessive about the one at hand and have to get it out of my head before starting the next one.

I am envious of anyone who can manage the multi-project juggle.

I think it's perfectly doable. Keep at it and learn what works for you and what doesn't, and in time it will become second nature, just like the writing itself.

Sounds like I'll have to feel it out. I could definitely set the story aside - it's just frustrating knowing that I have a novel in a good state but not yet completed. I would also like someone to read the whole thing, but I guess that's what the beta readers are doing. I'm bad at patience.

I like your suggestion Steve, but if I do that I'll have to split the novel into 2 separate pieces. I actually thought about that a few nights ago and worked out how to do it - it wouldn't be terribly hard. Maybe take a week to write stuff out. My only problem with that is I think the story is a bit less effective split up because of how I modify tone and speed between the two main arcs. However, there is definitely something to be said about having 2 works ready to publish instead of 1. I think for that I was hoping to wait for beta reader feedback to decide if I want to split them.

And yea, I can't really imagine writing 2 novels at once. I do my 2.5k-4k words in a day and then I'm just ready to stop. Well, we'll see how the juggling goes. Will probably try to split up the workload a bit - maybe give my next novel 1-2 hrs a day and the second one the rest.

I agree with @Phyrebrat on this.
Especially if you are having beta's work on it.
Take a break and do other writing while they work or read and when you have feedback you can choose the time when you will work on it for the final edits.

Sounds like I'll have to feel it out. I could definitely set the story aside - it's just frustrating knowing that I have a novel in a good state but not yet completed. I would also like someone to read the whole thing, but I guess that's what the beta readers are doing. I'm bad at patience.

I like your suggestion Steve, but if I do that I'll have to split the novel into 2 separate pieces. I actually thought about that a few nights ago and worked out how to do it - it wouldn't be terribly hard. Maybe take a week to write stuff out. My only problem with that is I think the story is a bit less effective split up because of how I modify tone and speed between the two main arcs. However, there is definitely something to be said about having 2 works ready to publish instead of 1. I think for that I was hoping to wait for beta reader feedback to decide if I want to split them.

And yea, I can't really imagine writing 2 novels at once. I do my 2.5k-4k words in a day and then I'm just ready to stop. Well, we'll see how the juggling goes. Will probably try to split up the workload a bit - maybe give my next novel 1-2 hrs a day and the second one the rest.
Josh K, take my advice with a grain of salt considering I haven't worked on many stories yet. (Still in the draft of my main novel) Though I've actually written a short story between the draft of my main novel. I think it would be really hard balancing two full-on 250k words novels but it is slightly different when it comes to short stories. If a short story idea comes to you where you are very clear about the start and end. Then I don't see why there should be any problem writing out a draft of that story. I think of it as a sort of writing exercise to replenish the creative juices.

Since you've already finished the second draft of your initial story, you are in better position than most authors while approaching your second venture. The problem most authors face (or just me) is that when a new idea for a story comes to mind, I subconsciously try cramming that into the novel that I am working on. Ideas don't usually occur as a full story at the start, case in point, for you it was a scene. Unless there is a feel of a completely different genre with a new list of characters, most people do the mistake of changing their initial story into Frankenstein's monster.

At the very least, its better to get the outline of that idea down on paper. (or your writing software). And I personally believe in pursuing ideas while they are fresh. I don't know if it occurs to other writers but even if I were to write down the idea for my new story. After a while when I get back to it, it kind of feels stale. I start doubting if it is was really as good as I thought it to be. Even if it is new full story, I think you should give it a shot. I've friends who can work on multiple novels at the same time and they can switch between them without mixing up ideas. Maybe you have that talent. You can't know without trying, right?