(Found) sci fi novel read in 1960's about ESP space explorer who encounters a pink being who offers to 'swap minds'

Betty Swallox

After swapping minds the govt employed explorer has to go on the run, as with other previous explorers who got taken over and became Messiahs, threatening to the society.

Some other books you may find interesting. These are some of the ones I keep re-reading!
Way Station - Clifford Simak
Time is the Simplest Thing - Clifford Simak - oh... it was the target of the search
All the Colors of Darkness - Lloyd Biggle Jr.

Interesting. That book is sitting here on my desk waiting to be read, the latest in my Simak acquisitions. I've just discovered his work . I know: where have I been all my life? I much enjoyed Way Station and City, but Cosmic Engineers which I just finished didn't wear very well. Now, it appears I shall wander off the list to read PaulMmm's suggested All the Colors of Darkness

One of my fav from my early SF reading days. It's still prominent on the bookshelf.
The Dutch title was 'The Pink Danger.' Well, actually it was 'Het roze gevaar'; but you get what I mean.
That kind of translations was one of the things that made me start reading in English.

Cosmic Engineers which I just finished didn't wear very well.
Hardly surprising, given it was first serialized in 1939, then (post-City) only came out in paperback in 1950. Very much a first novel, but with hints of the Simak to come.
One point of interest for me in connection with Star Trek is that there are references to "warp drive" and something very similar to replication. Of course I doubt Simak was the first to use these terms/ideas.

One point of interest for me in connection with Star Trek is that there are references to "warp drive" and something very similar to replication. Of course I doubt Simak was the first to use these terms/ideas.
I noted the Star Trek connections also. I wonder if anyone has done a history of warp drive. Ratz! There goes my afternoon.

Some other books you may find interesting. These are some of the ones I keep re-reading!
Way Station - Clifford Simak
Time is the Simplest Thing - Clifford Simak - oh... it was the target of the search
All the Colors of Darkness - Lloyd Biggle Jr.
Will try those suggestions thanks. Also just bought More than human, Theodore Sturgeon, same vintage of my formative years
Would make an excellent film if they can lay off the special effects

So I couldn't resist having a look: according to wikipedia it seems John W. Campbell started the ball rolling:

"The general concept of "warp drive" was introduced by John W. Campbell in his 1931 novel Islands of Space."

A more detailed look at the evolution of "warp drive" in fiction is on the Tau Zero web site: Starship Designs Inspired by Fiction - Tau Zero Foundation
"Space Warp" coined by N. Schachner in “The Son of Redmask,” Astounding Stories. 1935

Meanwhile, I came upon this excellent primer on warp drive at one of my favorite learning sites, Kahn Academy:

The science of warp drives

Meanwhile, I came upon this excellent primer on warp drive at one of my favorite learning sites, Kahn Academy:

[/QUOTE]

Back