Has anyone read 'On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft'?

Arkenstone

I'm currently reading a book by James Scott Bell called Plot & Structure. I found it listed on some blog, with a decent list of books to read for aspiring writers.

On this site, I also came across Stephen King's On Writing. I'd like to know if anyone here has read it. I haven't yet, but it appears to dive into King's experience as a writer and also some advice for aspiring writers.

I'd love to know what you personally got out of this book and if you'd recommend it as well.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
It's interesting, but as a book about writing it's more biographical then technical. IMO the best book about the technical issues of writing is Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer.

Welcome to chrons, by the way. :)

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Yeah, it's brilliant. The only book on writing I've ever been able to read and stay awake to.

I'm a pragmatist so I don't learn anything from books but by doing. Because King explained how to write by how he did it, I found it really useful.

Toby Frost

One of the best books available, in my opinion. While there is a fair amount of autobiography, King's advice is very clear and written to instruct as much as entertain. Personally, I found it easier to read than Wonderbook, because its layout is more conventional, but you may disagree. Definitely worth looking at.

biodroid

Expensive Gadget User
Yip as Brian said it's more biographical, starting with his childhood and some insights to his writing process. I was more interested in the biography part mainly and found it interesting as to his approach to writing. I did read it almost 18 years ago

Finch

On Writing is an enjoyable book to read , if your interested in writing and writers . But you will not become a writer reading it. In fact Stephen King sort of points this out himself. If your interested in writing you might like to read , David Kaplan's Rewriting . It is book the describes the process that helps you develop the first draft to the finished work .