Wifi And Netflix

dask

dark and stormy knight
In order to watch a documentary only available on Netflix I thought I could maybe get myself a Netflix gift card and watch it through my laptop. The guy in the electronics department at Fred Meyer told me I could but only if I had wifi. All I have, however, is Ethernet. Do I really need wifi? Couldn't I watch Netflix through the Ethernet if I created an account with them?

You shouldn't need wifi specifically, just an internet connection. Seeing as though you are here I imagine you have that. The speed of your connection will have more of an impact than anything.

In Australia you can generally get a two week or four week free trial of Netflix - is that an option to try it out and watch the doco where you are?

In Australia you can generally get a two week or four week free trial of Netflix - is that an option to try it out and watch the doco where you are?
Yes, Netflix offers a 30 day free trial. But I'm always leery of things like this afraid they may backfire like the time I cancelled my first isp. I had to yell and scream over the phone for about 20 minutes to do it and that is not an exaggeration.

The guy in the electronics department at Fred Meyer told me I could but only if I had wifi.
That's a weird remark, really, it makes no sense.
If you can visit this Forum, you can visit Netflix and stream video. It doesn't really matter how you connect your laptop to your router, wired or wireless. My take is though, only use wifi when wired is not doable.

Maybe he said that because new laptops don't tend to have ethernet CAT sockets any longer? They don't even have DVD drives. Some even will only work with one particular web browser. If you can read this now then you can get Netflix.

I would have to agree that that statement had to have come from assumptions about the device you were going to use.
Tablet computers that I've seen only have the wifi; although you could probably find a usb to ethernet to attach.
Notebook computers could suffer the same problem.
Maybe newer laptops; however higher end laptops that I've seen still have ethernet.
If you have a docking station that might likely have ethernet.

People might have begun using the words 'wifi' and 'internet' interchangeably. Ethernet isn't very common in my neck of the woods, so maybe folks forget that it is an option.
Youngsters these days. Probably never even heard the dulcet beeps and squawks of a dialup connection.

WiFi vs. Ethernet, just in case anyone is confused... ;)

mindreadingmachine.jpg
tincantelephone_7099.jpg

K2

It's been so long since I've used my ethernet connections I had to check and see if my newest laptop had a port. It does; and I'm glad. I might just plug it in soon just to see how much better my connection might be.

Perhaps I AM behind the times, yet I'm missing how, somewhere within everyones' connections there is not a hard-wire at some point. Though there is public WiFi in some, maybe most, major cities now, I suspect that most folks still run off cable, dsl, whatever, and from there once in the house sends out over WiFi. For my private system (excluding security servers and whatnot), it's cable>cable-modem>WiFi>ethernet to my PC or, out to whatever connects up remotely using WiFi.

K2

I've worked in libraries and archives in some old steel framed buildings where there is no mobile phone coverage inside. They all tend to have free WiFi today, but there was a time when the only way to log on to the Internet was to plug into a socket under the table. I'm sure that must still be the case in a few places. There is also poor mobile phone coverage in some rural areas. The false advertising that the UK companies put out about 99% coverage is a con. They mean 99% of the population, not 99% geographically. So, Ethernet is not going to go away anytime soon.

I tend to stick to ethernet if I can. Nothing beats a direct connection. Sounds to me like the guy had no idea what he was talking about - I think it's safer to assume that over anything else. I've used the netflix free trial and had no issues, though that was a few years ago. Netflix is a big enough company that I highly doubt you'll have any serious problems - and anyways, what is it, like $8/mo? I've heard of a lot of people - they'll sub to netflix for a month, watch what they want, then cancel the sub for half a year until more stuff comes out.