Tales From The Spired Inn

Stephen Palmer

author of novels
TFtSI full cover.jpeg

Stephen Palmer

author of novels
When I retrieved the rights to my novels Memory Seed and Glass it transpired that Orbit had no digital copies of them, which was a bit of a surprise. So I had no option but to buy a secondhand copy of each, rip them up into individual pages (more difficult than it sounds – every page had to be undamaged), then Optical Character Recognition each page to recreate the novel as digital text. But, as scanner users will know, OCR is not a 100% accurate process, which meant I then had to edit the words into recognisable form, then do a second pass edit to iron out remaining problems. It was a lengthy, tiring and frustrating task – but I got there in the end (both novels currently available as ebooks from Infinity Plus Books). The pictures below show the photographic evidence!

steve-rips-novels.jpg

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
These days, even the cheapest scanner/printer does a better and easier job than the OCR of years past--although even then there are still some predictable scanning errors, which make going through something of novel length and finding them a tedious job.

And the cover looks great!