The most amusing/out of the left field/unexpected description of your book/WIP

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
I was mightily amused when an editor friend had a peek at my current WIP and described it as - and I quote - "It's like Thelma and Louise Go to the Afterlife!"

I did NOT expect that given that it's a road trip to Hell featuring a little kitsune, her water sprite sidekick/partner, and a Bloody Mary on an urgent mission regarding Death. But now I can see that it's not really that far off.

Anyone else have amusing/unexpected/out-of-the-left-field type descriptions from readers/third parties of your book/WIP that make you go: "WTH is she/he/they smoking while reading it?!" or "Whoa! Now why didn't I think of that?" or just makes you burst out laughing because either they are so far removed from the story themes etc that you can only be amused?

Note: This also makes me think a lot more about authorial intention vs reader interpretation as well as how much of my values/beliefs/personal POV on various issues/influences from other authors or creators seep into my work.

Last edited:

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
"It feels like dead skin -- in a good way," was someone's description of the paperback cover of my second book.

What I found most troubling was that there wasn't even a "but" halfway through that sentence.

Droflet

I don't teach chickens how to dance.
After reading my fourth book a fan gave the whole series a big thumbs up and said, "It's more of the same only different."
Thank you my number one fan.

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
I'd take that as a compliment.
At least said editor friend is entertained by it (so far). Also, at least it's not being compared to 50 SHADES OF GREY.

Being compared to E.L. James is a recurring author nightmare for me (never mind that my books don't even go anywhere near erotica/romance territory. Not at all. Though further down the WIP there will be a scene in Hell regarding the appropriate punishment for rapists. It involves chickens.)