New Adult Category

Danny McG

"Kree kruh vergo gebba kalto kree!"
I've started browsing Goodreads recently and have spotted this category a couple of times.

New Adult; it seems to be defined as 18-35.

How long has this been about? I still get confused with 'YA', let alone 'NA'

Are there others I'm unaware of?

Not so young adult?
Jaded reading appetite adult?
Old and cynical adult?

Last edited:
Heh. Weird story.
When figuring out what genre one of my WIPs was a while back I jumped into YA because of coming of age themes, but quickly realised that my protag’s age was slightly too high, being 19-20, so I actually decided to make a whole new classification... I dubbed it new adult :unsure: (Though I switched new adult and young adult around I think).

Dunno, maybe I had seen it somewhere, or perhaps a genuine idea**

I figured there are just as many uncertainties with leaving uni, having blitzed through 3 years doing a degree with only a few letters to show for it, because by the time you’ve finished your bored of the subject or go in a completely new direction with your life. Just cause you’re a few years older doesn’t mean your anymore qualified to know what you want to do.
Least that’s how I see it.

** The same thing happened with Spider-Man one time. It was the best idea I ever came up with, and took me a whole two seconds to realise what I’d done:LOL:

I really don't want to see books going down this route (assuming that's the plan). Old fogey jokes aside, I think it's bad for literature to try to compartmentalise readers. A good book should speak to everyone, not just a narrow "just like me" readership. I've nothing against vague terms like "classic fiction by women" but I think narrow targeting is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Apparently this seems to be books relating to issues that 18-25 year olds face, so I'm not so sure how this would translate into SFF and horror.

Seens more like a publicity label to push certain books, and try and make a bandwagon. There's a description, for what it is worth, on Wikipedia.

It's been around for awhile. To me, it seems like a bunch of authors that wanted to write more explicit romance into their YA books than what is typically allowed. At least that's what I see happening with the NA books I've seen listed on Goodreads and elsewhere.

I've started browsing Goodreads recently and have spotted this category a couple of times.

New Adult; it seems to be defined as 18-35.

How long has this been about? I still get confused with 'YA', let alone 'NA'

Are there others I'm unaware of?

Not so young adult?
Jaded reading appetite adult?
Old and cynical adult?
I share your chagrin, Danny, its pathetic.