How to create pop up footnotes for Kindle ebooks?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I have a non-fiction work in development which uses lots of footnotes. I've uploaded my Word .doc into KDP, and the footnotes link to a list of references at the back of the book.

However, I'd much prefer my footnotes to appear through pop-ups - ie, if someone clicks a superscript link for a footnote, instead of linking to reference pages at the back, I'd like a pop-up to appear in the footer providing the reference source.

I've seen this used in a number of non-fiction works I've read on the Kindle, but not all.

I'm struggling to find how to do this in Word - a Google search suggests this may be an available formatting setting for Adobe InDesign, but I can find anything about how to set this up in Word.

Does anyone know how to achieve this, or have I pretty much answered my own question already?

Last time I crossed this - in epub- you made a file for each footnote then called it via CSS within the main doc (Manuscript) but you don't want to do that. Indesign has reported to only work in certain versions of Kindle machines, if they have the software to support it. (Paperwhite doesn't read the code right, I'm told.) Because of the resizable layout design Kindle runs I would have thought you'd run into some difficulty, that even using an anchor would cause problems. Basically you'd have differing reviews, some that work, and some that don't.

Probably not worth messing with.

Do you mean like this?

I asked about that in this thread: Tool-tip Type Pop-up Boxes in EBooks? which might have a couple ideas for you to investigate... However, my continued asking elsewhere, makes me think that the 'reader' they use might also affect the outcome. So that is something to look into as well. I'll be watching this thread still wanting an answer myself.

K2