September 2019: Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behemoth, the rise of mankind book one, by John Walker

Earth's last hope against the returning alien invaders!

I'm drowning in academic reading - my 2nd year is about to start, and I have more required and background reading books to add on top of everything else I'm already reading. No fiction for me for a while, it seems.

sorry, doesn't ring a bell. actually he wrote the scariest book i've ever read
Watchers, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance, rescue a dog.
Dark rivers of the heart, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance.
One door away from heaven, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance, rescue a child.

Those are just the ones I can recall without looking at all my Koontz titles!

Last edited:
Servant of the Empire - I just started reading this recently. I haven't read much since I started writing, and I'm not sure how people have so much time that they can read, write, and work full time, not to mention the children and wife. I know for me, it's tough to do it all, so my reading has suffered. Still, looking forward to getting back into this and I'll definitely be reading in a few days once draft 2 of my novel is complete.

Edit: Oh, I take it back. I have been reading some work on scribophile, but those are 1 chapter pieces and I'm critiquing, so I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Watchers, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance, rescue a dog.
Dark rivers of the heart, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance.
One door away from heaven, man, woman, overcome adversity, find romance, rescue a child.

Those are just the ones I can recall without looking at all my Koontz titles!
Add in the unredeemably evil villain and the epic showdown in an apocalyptic storm and you've described 90% of all he's written under his own name. :)

I used to really look forward to new releases from Dean Koontz, until I realized I'm reading (and he's writing) the dame damned book over and over. :(

Add in the unredeemably evil villain and the epic showdown in an apocalyptic storm and you've described 90% of all he's written under his own name. :)

I used to really look forward to new releases from Dean Koontz, until I realized I'm reading (and he's writing) the dame damned book over and over. :(
tears of the dragon i think, scary

I finished the Le Carre - brilliant. One of the most ‘unputdownable’ books I’ve read lately.

Back to SF for my next read, I’m starting Becky Chambers the long way to a small angry planet. I’ve heard some good things about this.

Roger Zelazny " A Night in the Lonesome October" (1993)
One of my all-time favourites. To my surprise I'd forgotten all bar the main outlines, so I was able to take great pleasure in being reminded of Snuff the dog's daily moseying around, having discussions with the other familiars, while sussing out the main players, leading up to the great confrontation on the full moon of Halloween. For me there's a wonderful maturity about this work (it was his last solo work) and it's unlike any of his others. Although I find every page enthralling, this is no adrenalin-fuelled rollercoaster.

I finished Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters, which was a lot of fun, and I'm currently reading Stephen King's Misery. The sequence I read last night, at the end of part 1, was one of the most intense I've read in some time. Looking forward to reading more later today. :)

Reactions: OHB
I finished the Le Carre - brilliant. One of the most ‘unputdownable’ books I’ve read lately.

Back to SF for my next read, I’m starting Becky Chambers the long way to a small angry planet. I’ve heard some good things about this.
I found the Chambers book to be quite pedestrian. Really didnt understand the hype.

Ha! - that's three well-read critics (who's opinions I value) who didn't care for the Chambers book - well, I'll give it a go, and maybe now I'll enjoy it, as the expectation is lower than it might have been :) Seems okay over the first 50-60 pages - very character driven thus far, a bit of action wouldn't be amiss...

I'm currently reading Stephen King's Misery. The sequence I read last night, at the end of part 1, was one of the most intense I've read in some time. Looking forward to reading more later today.
I find Misery to be King's most terrifying book. It's very realistic compared to some of his other works--nothing supernatural--and that's what gives me the creeps about it. It's just a person doing horrible things to another person. Somewhere in the world, someone is likely being treated just as badly.

I'm drowning in academic reading - my 2nd year is about to start, and I have more required and background reading books to add on top of everything else I'm already reading. No fiction for me for a while, it seems.

I used to find refuge in the occasional short story. Of course, once started they can be like peanuts or potato chips, so you don't stop at just one ...

Randy M.

Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce
I really enjoyed it, but that may have been helped as I was reading it in Aberystwyth at the time. Trying to match up the real and imagined location was a lot of fun.

Polished off the last 15 minutes or so of Gideon Crew, book 5 today, Got all the way through "Red Queen" and a little over half way through the "second book" in the series (actually an omnibus of two prequel novellas). With the title of the first book, I thought it was going to be yet another modern retelling of the Wonderland stories, so it's been sitting on the back burner for quite some time. I was surprised to find it's a rather interesting dystopian fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back