DISCUSSION THREAD, September 2019 75-Word Writing Challenge

Voting nearly over on the 100 challenge if anyone would care to cast

Stories here

Voting here

I've risked posting my entry which, inadvertantly, contains the same play on words that I've now seen appearing in someone else's entry... although I hope the situation in which I use that wordplay is sufficiently different to avoid people thinking that any plagiarism is involved.

This reminds me of a Twilight episode I saw in the sixties. It's actually the only one I remember - I was perhaps 12 or 13 - and may very well have triggered my lifelong interest in SFF.
Earth was visited by aliens (first contact, no doubt) and humans were invited to come and visit their world. As to their intentions they gave a book that described their world and lives etc. But it was in the aliens' language.
So a team was assembled to try to decipher it. They succeeded eventually, just about when the last human entered the alien spacecraft and the hatch closed.
It was a book about cooking.

@Garfunkel ... A Few Thousand Cycles, Give or Take .... Garfunkel tells a tale of first contact and how things can go massively wrong; perhaps earth shatteringly wrong?

@Vince W .... Protocols of Preparation .... Vince has finally settled the question of whether or not humans are actually turkeys.

@Ursa major .... The Importance of Comic Timing .... Ursa gives us a massive (what else?) pun regarding the Vegans true intentions.

I've risked posting my entry which, inadvertantly, contains the same play on words that I've now seen appearing in someone else's entry
I suppose that's one of the problems of posting late, there's more chance someone might beat you to the punch(line). But I never read the other entries until I've posted mine anyway, so I suppose even if posted early the problem remains. :(

Anyway, mine are from Vega Five, yours must be from another Vega satellite ;)

Wel, I'm in, having made a rod for my own back. Half of you won't know about Dangerous Dan McGrew** and the other half will be baffled by Fred Karno. All shall be revealed after voting. Meanwhile, I hope some of you get the allusions.

** no relation to the newish member of the similar name, I trust!

Actually, when I was re-reading the original to get the metre, I had images of Desperate Dan, he of the cow pies, in my mind -- all brawn and stubble! But that DD would be too gentle to attack an alien.

I mean, seriously, I never even thought about Robert Service for black comedy. What the hell is wrong with me?

And, more importantly, how do I follow that?*

* in three hours (or is it four?)

Back