An alien stands in Trafalgar Square, but I'm not sure.

Ian Fortytwo

A Poet, Writer and eclectic Reader.
Supporter
The story/novel I read in the late 70s early 80s. An alien stands in Trafalgar Square I think and is by himself he is tall. Humans threaten him but destroys their weapons etc without hurting the humans. He is not a God nor a robot, definitely humanoid in shape. I think the author was Robert Silverberg, however that could be wrong.

I was thinking The Alien Years by RS but can't remember this bit been awhile though
Nah, I just searched my Alien Years ebook and no Trafalgar Square mentioned.
Also there was a load of alien invaders, not just one standing alone.

(A shame, I thought you'd sussed it then)

I'm trying to wrack my brain for anymore clues. A similar story was written as dekology by L Ron Hubbard Invasion Plan. And I think that I get them mixed up with each other.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on a short story, "Farwell to the Master" , by Harry Bates. It did not take place in Trafalgar Square, but in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.. In the short story, Klaatu is described as looking god-like. But whereas in the movie, Gort destroys the armies weapons without hurting any people, in the stort story, that scene does not happen. I don't think this is the story the O.P. is looking for.

The with reading it thirty to forty years ago makes it harder to remember key points and gets mixed up with other stories and novels. I'm pretty sure it was Robert Silverberg. And no robots were included. Trafalgar Square is also doubtful.

The with reading it thirty to forty years ago makes it harder to remember key points and gets mixed up with other stories and novels. I'm pretty sure it was Robert Silverberg. And no robots were included. Trafalgar Square is also doubtful.
So it's a tall humanoid alien standing in a public area somewhere on Earth.
It destroys weapons but leaves the people unhurt.
By tall do we mean like 7ft or 50 plus feet, or can't you remember?

Thanks for trying, I just wish my memory was a little bit better.
Somebody might get it yet.
Have you worked through the checklist to see if it inspires your memory cells?

Hmm...I've read just about everything Silverberg wrote and Trafalgar Square (or London) doesn't ring a bell. As for the other plot details, I'm not sure either.

But could we be looking for a UK author?

Perhaps a seven-foot-tall, green-eyed, scythe-wielding monster. Could this be Douglas Adams? I must reread to avoid a Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul.