Disabling addons temporarily

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Over the past week some functions haven't been working properly, such as keeping the site statistics updated, such as for thread views, etc.

I didn't think this too much of a problem - it's happened before - but just now the forums became inaccessible for a short while because one of the database tables became filled up.

It appears that routine backend tasks haven't been happening when they should have, which is almost certainly due to a problem with one of the site plugins. I've now run the backend tasks manually but have disabled addons in the meantime.

Over the next few days I'm going to reactivate each, one by one, until I find which is causing the problem so I can eject it.

It's really quite a routine process and I've done it before, however it does mean that the current functions won't work over the next few days until I re-activate them:

- SFFchronicles2 theme
- media gallery
- conversation search

plus a couple of minor admin functions, such as the ability to edit post dates (used to set up features), plus anti-spam link limits for new members.

However, I'm sure normal service will shortly resume - if like me you're used to the SFFChronicles2 theme, my apologies, and I recommend using the Default Red theme, which you can select by clicking on the bottom-left link "SFFchronicles2" and selecting "Default Red" from the list that pops up.

dannymcg

"It places the lotion in the basket"
I've just activated red now.
Wow, do I feel like the ultimate tech-nerd!

dannymcg

"It places the lotion in the basket"
I've noticed that in 'default red' I can see all the little bits like book covers showing for members who are published writers. Additional messages on Admin posts and such like things.
Reverting back to 'default blue' and all this extraneous stuff disappears again

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've noticed that in 'default red' I can see all the little bits like book covers showing for members who are published writers. Additional messages on Admin posts and such like things.
Reverting back to 'default blue' and all this extraneous stuff disappears again
Strange, it sounds like signatures weren't displaying for you, but they are supposed to in Default Blue.