(Found) Short SF love stories compilation book

Dragonshaz

Hi all. Just joined as I was reading posts in this forum till 3am. Hope you can help. Im looking for a book I read secondhand in early 80's. It had sevral love stories or romances.

1) adolescent male on another world who spent so much time with a female robot - kind of carer or family retainer he loved her over any Human girl he knew
2) Too many women on earth, if your still single at around 30ish you were On The Shelf - no hope of a happy love match. Meanwhile on 'Outback or Frontier Planet', guess what shortage of girls! Story told from point of view of girl on earth & man on planet. I particularly remember she was convinced by an Advertising Campaign or Poster. Always made me think of 10cc "Im Mandy fly me".
3) Last man on planet is lonely & sad. He hears a phone ring & runs like mad to catch the call. When he finally gets it, theres a woman & they meet. No happy ending - she eats chocs all day, complains & nags. So he leaves & every time he hears a phone ring - he changes town.
4) A man has a happy life with girl, maybe a bit humdrum, but comfortanle & shes good cook & homemaker. Some days or weeks later he flips a special coin he carries in pocket & gos home to exciteing vivacious gorgous girl theu go out a lot. He gets tired & flips coin to swap back to comfort & homely. Lucky fella can swap by flipping coin anytime
5) My Fav Story. Middle age married man has to go on a trip alone. He loves his wife, but she seem very subdued. Hes sad & dosent know why. He meets an enchanting beautiful YOUNG woman in distress & helps her. Shes a bit odd & vulnerable & very appealing. Shes hideing from people chaseing her. They meet 2 or 3 or 4 times & he falls head over heels in love with her, but she never turns up to thier final meeting. So heartbroken & guilty he gos back to his wife. Its not the same, shes even sadder & he cant get ovet the mystery girl. One day hes in the attic & finds beautiful Dress his mysyery girl first appeared in. Realises she was timetraveller & went back on her last chance to meet himself as much younger man. Was his wife all along, she was sad because he was going to fall in love with a younger her.

Please tell me someone knows these lovely stories ???

No 1 could almost be a ss by Ed Emshwiller ( I think) called Katy 8 ( or something along those lines. )

Someone with a proper computer would need to check. Beyond the capabilities of my antique iPhone and my sf mag collection is not at hand.

4) is likely to be Jack Finney's "The Other Wife" (1960) aka "The Coin Collector". If I remember right, the coin in question is a Woodrow Wilson dime that he happens to use at a certain news stand. This was subsequently expanded into a novel "The Woodrow Wilson Dime".

Last edited:
2). I can't remember the title at present. In the story I'm thinking of, the man is a farmer in the back of beyond. He is very excited about the women who are due to arrive. The women have left earth for a variety of reasons - some in response to the advert, others to avoid a prison sentence.

2). I can't remember the title at present. In the story I'm thinking of, the man is a farmer in the back of beyond. He is very excited about the women who are due to arrive. The women have left earth for a variety of reasons - some in response to the advert, others to avoid a prison sentence.
Sounds right, & when the women arrive they are soooo welcome & prized

4) is likely to be Jack Finney's "The Other Wife" (1960) aka "The Coin Collector". If I remember right, the coin in question is a Woodrow Wilson dime that he happens to use at a certain news stand. This was subsequently expanded into a novel "The Woodrow Wilson Dime".
Just checked online & your right. Thats the one

Soo you wonderful people, you found Girls from Earth, Silent Towns and The Other Wife. I dont mind not finding 1) but I'd love to find 5) if at all possible ???. Oh and now I know of The Project Gutenburg - THANKS, Thanks & thanks.

@Dragonshaz , do you remember anything about the anthology itself? Word(s) in the title? What the cover looked like? Publisher? Published in the UK or the US? Approximate date? Etc.

@Dragonshaz , do you remember anything about the anthology itself? Word(s) in the title? What the cover looked like? Publisher? Published in the UK or the US? Approximate date? Etc.
Unfortunately not, but at least now I can get copies of the actual stories - either ebay/amazon or ebooks now i know of gutenberg project. Thanks for all your help.

It should be easy enough to identify the anthology given we now know four of the stories, but I cannot find a record of it in either of the

I read two of the stories in Judith Merril's annuals (5th and 7th), and the other in Sloane's "Stories for Tomorrow"
I'v spent afternoon googling & a man says he read Dandilion Girl in 'Years best science fiction 1961' in USA. In uk they were released as Mammoth Book of Science Fiction. Only i cant figure which edition. I certainly had at least 1 Mammoth book - maybe more. It was mid 1980's & second hand then.
Good luck

Back