Psychology of CJ Cherryh's works

Yeah, I quit reading the Foreigner series somewhere along the way, I think the story was becoming both too complicated and too forced--I could barely make myself skim through the last one I read.
Long series often seem to pick up too much baggage along the way and lose the momentum of the story.

Yeah, I probably am a book or more behind the latest as well. My reluctance has less to do with the excess baggage and more to do with my feeling that the plots are more contrived, Bren has become too powerful for the set up to make sense, and personally I would like a break from all of the unending political intrigue.

Edit: I just looked and I am SO WRONG! I am 10 books behind! I guess that comes in part from my getting a Kindle because I live an hour away from any bookstore which would carry anything like C.J. Cheeyh and now for several years getting almost all Kindle Unlimited books.

I managed to find a second-hand copy of Hunter of Worlds for a couple of quid online (that'll be about three or four dollars to y'all Americanos:)). Just waiting for it to arrive. Hoping there are no pages missing.:eek:

P.S. A lot of her stuff doesn't seem to be available on kindle.

Unfortunately, that is true. Otherwise, I'd have ordered some of them. I have the paperbacks, but the print is small.

Please let us know what you think of Hunter of Worlds when you get it and read it.

Generally when I read a series I've enjoyed, I remember the authors name and look out for other books by them. CJ Cherryh is unusual in that I read boks from trhee of her series at various times over the years and have only recently realised that all three series were by the same author ; The Faded Sun (can't recall much about that one) , the Chanur Tales, and the first three in The Foreigner series. Having recently realised that they're all by the same person (I rememebred the series name,not the authors name!) I have to say that I'm impressed! Her characterisation of aliens is probably the best I've encountered, even if the political machinations often make my heard hurt (hey, I often don't understand humans all that well, never mind aliens! 8-}) .

Can't say as I feel inclined to read any more of the Foreigner tales (though I'd love more about the Hani!) , but now I grasp the extent and range of her writing, C J Cherryh defintely makes my list of SF great writers!

Generally when I read a series I've enjoyed, I remember the authors name and look out for other books by them. CJ Cherryh is unusual in that I read boks from trhee of her series at various times over the years and have only recently realised that all three series were by the same author ; The Faded Sun (can't recall much about that one) , the Chanur Tales, and the first three in The Foreigner series. Having recently realised that they're all by the same person (I rememebred the series name,not the authors name!) I have to say that I'm impressed! Her characterisation of aliens is probably the best I've encountered, even if the political machinations often make my heard hurt (hey, I often don't understand humans all that well, never mind aliens! 8-}) .

Can't say as I feel inclined to read any more of the Foreigner tales (though I'd love more about the Hani!) , but now I grasp the extent and range of her writing, C J Cherryh defintely makes my list of SF great writers!

Cherryh definitely can make your head hurt as you try to understand, but I've always found it worth it. --- That said, The Foreigner series has, in my opinion, now gone on too long. Book 20 is now available for preorder.

Not to be guilty of being a completist, I still might recommend two pairs of her books: Rider at The Gate and Cloud's Rider as well as Hammerfall and Forge Of Heaven. While not equating them, both pairs involve the influence of spacefaring entities on the (sometimes unwitting) lives of planetary people. Quite interesting and I'm happy to have an autographed copy of the last one listed.

Perhaps simply by coincidence, I am within one month of being the same age as her. That may account for the fact that I've read more of her work than any other SF author by far. And that takes into account that I haven't always been fond of some of her output. But I think that is just a testament to her ability to delve into a wide variety of scenarios and styles. Overall, her shining achievement is to provide fascinating characters and interpersonal dynamics.

I'm up to 'Resurgence' on the 'foreigner' series - no. 20, I think - and intend to finish. My question is 'why no Kindle'? I got the Kindle largely because my flat (read 'appartment' transatlantic) was shrinking too small for my bookshelves. I now have a complete shelf that is almost entirely Foreigner series (apart from the Sword of Knowledge trilogy tucked in at one end). And nobody wins - I bought at least half of the volumes second hand, so nothing was paid to the author.

If you read Downbelow station - worth the effort - you'll discover that the first three chapters were worldbuilding, no 'grag their attention straight off and perhaps they'll hang around long enough to turn the page'. Fits me fine. I have lots of C.J.Cherryh.