Matrix 4 to happen

Hm. I wonder why only one of the Wachowskis is doing it, not the two of them together.

Hm. I wonder why only one of the Wachowskis is doing it, not the two of them together.
Because the other one has better sense?
Unless it is knock-your-socks-off great, it is going to be a let down.
Am I alone in thinking the original trilogy hasn't aged well?

I think it has aged well enough because of the cyberpunk aesthetic. I watched it the other day and the first movie (with its seamless mix of philosophy, action, and cyberpunk dystopia) as well as the freeway chase/fight of the second movie has held up extremely well.

If Wachowski can go back to basics with the 4th film by taking the cue from the first film, it may well be a return to form for the series and Wachowski.

I think it has aged well enough because of the cyberpunk aesthetic. I watched it the other day and the first movie (with its seamless mix of philosophy, action, and cyberpunk dystopia) as well as the freeway chase/fight of the second movie has held up extremely well.

If Wachowski can go back to basics with the 4th film by taking the cue from the first film, it may well be a return to form for the series and Wachowski.
Yes, they will have to try a different approach to make an impact. Film-Noire, Screwball Comedy, Musical? Okay, those are a little extreme [but who wouldn't see a Matrix musical?].
For me, the aesthetic is one of the things that aged badly. For me, those trenchcoats and MIBs scream 80s and 90s. Bullet Time has become a cliche for all the right reasons, it was amazing the first time you saw it, but special effects are far more special now. I think the philosophy is too upfront and really shallow. It is trying [again for my liking] too hard to be profound and comes across as a P K Dick pastiche. I think he does it so much better and usually way-down in the subtext so that its a homer.
One remake/reboot/sequel I am looking forward to is the new Top Gun. The first one is a terrible but fun film and Cruise has promised no CGI in the flying and I'd like to see some more need for speed filmed with new technology.

Yes, they will have to try a different approach to make an impact. Film-Noire, Screwball Comedy, Musical? Okay, those are a little extreme [but who wouldn't see a Matrix musical?].
For me, the aesthetic is one of the things that aged badly. For me, those trenchcoats and MIBs scream 80s and 90s. Bullet Time has become a cliche for all the right reasons, it was amazing the first time you saw it, but special effects are far more special now. I think the philosophy is too upfront and really shallow. It is trying [again for my liking] too hard to be profound and comes across as a P K Dick pastiche. I think he does it so much better and usually way-down in the subtext so that its a homer.
One remake/reboot/sequel I am looking forward to is the new Top Gun. The first one is a terrible but fun film and Cruise has promised no CGI in the flying and I'd like to see some more need for speed filmed with new technology.

I liked it and the first film was substantial enough for me to write a well-received dissertation on it discussing cyberpunk and postmodern theory/philosophy. For me, first MATRIX film was a game-changer and the precursor of today's "far more special" special effects (as you put it). Without the pioneering special effects in there, we wouldn't have today's superhero and SFF movie extravaganzas. Plus it brought Hong Kong style martial arts fight choreography to the Hollywood mainstream audience. So I think it's a classic. As for fashion? It's cyberpunk and the Wachowskis capture the cyberpunk feel and vibe exactly.

As for remakes/reboots - I'd just as soon have NONE *Side-eye at Disney's money-grubbing remakes*. At least the 4th installment of THE MATRIX is a continuation of the series instead of a reboot.

TOP GUN is way too full of machismo and Tom Cruise is overrated as an actor. I'd be far more interested in it as a remake if the new movie did a gender-bend and changed the characters to women and actually passed the Bechdel test. CAPTAIN MARVEL showed that we can have a great movie featuring female pilots. We have enough movies about men already. But that's my opinion and as always - YMMV.

Last edited:
Can we move this to the Matrix group in the Featured Films section?

I'd be interested to see where they go with this. The ghost within the machine, perhaps agent Smith returns.

The first Matrix movie was superb and maybe deserves a new, younger audience.

First movie: excellent. The Walchowskis described it as kung fu versus computers, which I thought was spot on.
Second and third: pretentious, and similar to watching an idiot try to look clever.
No more, thanks.

The visuals have aged like milk, but there's a few moments i still enjoy. It is nostalgic for me, especially the long, black trench coat look.

First movie: excellent. The Walchowskis described it as kung fu versus computers, which I thought was spot on.
Second and third: pretentious, and similar to watching an idiot try to look clever.
No more, thanks.

The Matrix was their biggest hit and nothing they've done since has equaled it.

Basically , the Waschowskis are one hit wonders and they what they are hoping that a new Matrix film improve their fortunes. I don't think it will. Their film Jupiter Ascending was visually amazing and had a very interesting story premise but m, was doomed by poor writing and execution. That film with tighter script and better written story, could that put them back on top.

Without a doubt, but people keep trying to tell me that Jupiter Ascending is a good film if you watch it in a certain way and skip certain scenes. And are mildly drunk. :rolleyes:

The film we ended up with was a mess of a movie . Jupiter Ascending done correctly , could have been a truly great film ,maybe even the beginning of a successful film franchise , it had all the elements to be so .

Musical? Okay, those are a little extreme [but who wouldn't see a Matrix musical?].

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see

I will run for shelter
Endless summer lift the curse
It feels like nothing matters
In our private universe