Peter Fonda

Pyan

Ahor't ai r'lyehian?
Staff member
Supporter
Peter Fonda has died at the age of 79. Best known for the seminal Easy Rider, he also starred in Futureworld (1976), and appeared in Ghost Rider (2007) and the 2008 remake of Journey to the Centre of the World.

I really liked him in the revisionist/experimental Western The Hired Hand, which he also wrote and directed, and in Ulee's Gold.

My earliest memory of watching Peter Fonda was when my brother and I (as youngsters) managed to get in to a cinema to see Easy Rider in the early 1970s. Next thing we knew, the place was full of Hell's Angels. We were pretty nervous watching the movie but the chance to see the uber-cool Fonda ride his chopper was just too good to miss on account of a few (very) scary bikers. A little bit of my own youthful memories died with Fonda:(

Easy Rider was the first '18' film I saw when underage

Easy Rider was the first '18' film I saw when underage
Mine too when I was 15 :oops: (when it had been out for two or three years) (I think my next one was Emmanuel [blush]).

I like Fonda and he was very iconic for that time, but even then I preferred Dennis Hopper.

Thinking about it I suspect that film is part of the reason I became a biker for many years!

Last edited:
Yea to Easy Rider, but the PF film I have seen most is the very odd Thomas and the Magic Railroad which my kids wanted to watch endlessly when they were age 6 or thereabouts.