War buff in need of your answers

World War II, because my father fought in it and he told me all kinds of stories about it, including about the two years he spent as a "guest of the Reich" (he was a POW).

But your request brings up a question. You use the word "enthusiast". Does that mean that you are interested in wars in a historical sense? Or does it mean that you "like" war? Because, in my experience, some people do actually like the idea of war - of having them and of fighting in them. That is something that I cannot comprehend, personally, because I think war, even the "good" ones (in the sense that they worked to eliminate some evil) are in the final analysis a flawed way of dealing with political, social, or religious conflicts.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks. My condolences about your Father. I just kind of like the stories on wars not necessarily the carnage. Its also kind of emotional when so many people come together for a common cause, its an exemplification of human nature and potential. Thannks

War kills common people just for the profit of few ones. How can anyone be enthousiastic about it ? War is mainly blood, guts spilled and sh*t.

The ones who directly touched me were WW2 because I had family fighting there, and the Yougoslavian one because I had friends there. Hopefully most of them came back with their whole body.

War isn't something you should be enthusiastic about, maybe you meant that you maintain an interest in military history?

The wars I have the most interest in are WWI & WWII because I had family involved, several of the historical Scottish battles, again because of family, and the Japanese period known as Sengoku Jidai.

The conflicts I have an interest in are WWI & II (modern warfare with modern weapons but turn of the century morals & beliefs - strangely inspiring despite the horrors involved)

I also have an interest in ancient historical battles (Rome, Greece etc) as the strategies used are still as relevant today as then.
Plus, whether we like it or not, war has shaped the world in which we find our selves (and I suppose still shapes it)

In a purely historic sense, the war between Stephen and Maude and the Wars of the Roses between York and Lancaster fascinate me the most - not because of the carnage bur because of the psychological and political aspects of them - all the intrigue and coat-turning that went on, every time I read about them I'm amazed once more at the fact that people were capable of allying themselves with those they hated from the bottom of their soul...

On a really personal note, the war in Croatia and Bosnia - I'm a Croat, a kid who lived on the top floor of my building was more or less the first casualty, I have family in a part of Serbia which has always been predominantly Croat-populated and plenty of friends who fought...I don't want to go on about it because if I do there'll be some very hard words from me on the subjest of tribunals, peacekeeping forces and the current situation...

Firstly, war is by no means a game and its probably the worst times of humanity. However we are still animals and social animals to make things worse, all animals just happen to have conflicts once in a while. For humans its perhaps also a psychological release because many people are always happy and celebrating when going to war, just before the war starts.I certainly don't pray for wars and not in support of them but you really have to appreciate the motivation involved. I am a war ethusiast because I like to read about strategies, stories, and consequences of wars. No different from those who see hollywood war movies. Its all sort of a token of respect for all those who have fought and died in every war.

World war's I & II , sort of interest me as my grandfather served in both,and I was fascinated with story's my granny used to tell me about rationing and been evacuated with my mum and uncle during the Clyde air raids.I also like to read up on battles fought on British soil.One thing that saddens me is that we don't seem to have taken any lessons from world war II.

"Which major war in any part of history fascinated, hurt, or touched you the most?"

Not a war enthusiast at all. It seems to represent humanity at just about his very worst.
Hearing about the terrible WWI slaughter at Gallipoli for the first time probably touched me the most. I have always been strangely fascinated by King Alfred's (of Wessex) battles against the Viking warbands which harried this island.
I think I can genuinely say that the UK's involvement in the recent Iraq conflict has hurt me.

I have an interest in war in the historical sense - partly for the same reasons as littlemiss gave (all the tales I was told as a nipper). My family has been involved in WW2 (Uncles, Grandfather etc.) Thankfully my own father was too young.

Also, my great-grandfather was killed in the slaughter of WW1 in France. Another Great Grandfather ran away from home and lied about his age. he fought in the Boer War(and lost a leg). My own particular interest is probably more geared towards WW1 because of the way it changed the world (the fall of 4 empires and the rise of Communism).

The war that facsinates me the most is the war in Heaven between the angels. (Yes even the angels war.) The ancient writings speak of an awesome war between the "Sons of Light" and "The Sons of Darkness" I can't help but think that they refer to some intergalactic war, and I want to know the details.

*Yes, I know this may seem a little nuts.

War is war. "The last argument of the kings"...
And as it absolutely rightfully pointed out above here, it kills thousand people to benefit of few, or for some obscure 'natrional interest" which is quite the same.
I generally hate wars and don't see any romanticism in them - only blood, stench, guts spilled all over, anger and mersilessness. If you have any illusions on so called "civilised warfare", take them away, should war come to you (which I by no means would wish ever happen to you), it will not show any civilised feature.
WW II is what touches me the most. It touches to this or that extent every family of ex-USSR. There's no family in Ukraine which didn't suffer loss in that war. Ladies and gentlemen, you only think of that number - 27 million sitizens of the USSR that war were killed in that war! The population of an average European country!!!
How can I take that easy?
That bloody ******* Hitler left this world too easily (I am not bloodthirsty - only just).:mad: I wish he and that murderous son of the bitch Himmler were before the court in Nuremberg!!! I wish Stalin was also judged, and Truman to accompany him (for Hiroshima and Nagasaki) but victors are not judged.

One thing that saddens me is that we don't seem to have taken any lessons from world war II.

I agree. War is something that must be learned from. To dismiss it is merely to learn nothing and invite another.

The Russian, British and Japanese people showed incredible strength and resilience both during and after WWII, as well as the many people that rose above the struggle to keep their humanity.

Lucifer, I have a book I'd like to recommend for you, it's called War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning . I think you might find it interesting as it deals with the psychology of war and how it shapes us, both prior to conflict and in its aftermath. And once you've seen war, or what it can do first-hand, you know there is very little to be enthused about.

The War of the Ring..no just kidding.

I am fascinated in most ancient wars fought in China..I liked to read about the wars between the lords of China in Zhou Dynasty (app. 1000 BC I think...I am probably off by a lot by it's before the first century for sure). Also the Three Kingdoms period in China..(Read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms..you can actually learn some military manueaver stratgy)

In European history I like the War of Roses, for the political aspect. But another reason is really the name...The War of Roses, such a romantic name for such a bloody war, which is what made me interest in this war at the beginning.

To be honest, I really don't like modern wars, I mean WWI's trench warfare is the most weird and inefficient way of fighting a war I have ever seen. (ok maybe too much ancient Chinese war stories for me). I don't like guns or tanks or fighter planes whatsoever, I find wars fought with swords and shields more interesting.

lucifer_principle said:
I'm sort of a war ethusiast. Which major war in any part of history fascinated, hurt, or touched you the most?
Omaha Beach—first wave. A powerful example of the hellish aspects of war.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Extollager Book Discussion 1
Brian G Turner Buffy 1
Brian G Turner Buffy 12
Brian G Turner Buffy 16
Overread Buffy 15