Distaff Science Fiction Anthology Out Now!

Thank you, Brian, for putting up the banner. Thank you to those who've done reviews and posted them on their websites, Amazon and Goodreads.

At the risk of sounding to controversial...

I was told some time ago that part of the reasoning why there are so few female science fiction authors compared to men resulted from there being so few reviews of books written by female genre authors.

I never got the full details about that complicated chain of reasoning, but the comments came from people who looked into the matter more deeply than I have. So the only proof I have of this being correct is at best circumstantial evidence. And the apparent lack of reviews for the Distaff anthology is now adding to that pile.

Is this where I tiptoe away?

Thank you, Brian, for putting up the banner. Thank you to those who've done reviews and posted them on their websites, Amazon and Goodreads.

At the risk of sounding to controversial...

I was told some time ago that part of the reasoning why there are so few female science fiction authors compared to men resulted from there being so few reviews of books written by female genre authors.

I never got the full details about that complicated chain of reasoning, but the comments came from people who looked into the matter more deeply than I have. So the only proof I have of this being correct is at best circumstantial evidence. And the apparent lack of reviews for the Distaff anthology is now adding to that pile.

Is this where I tiptoe away?

I've never heard that before - I don't suppose you could remember where it came from?

In any case... it sounds ... I've forgotten the word I want. It may come back. BUT IN ANY CASE - we know publicity matters. Publishers mightn't want to take risk on people who don't get much publicity. Women themselves mightn't think of being an author because they don't hear about female authors all the time.

Plausible. That's the word.

That said... how many reviews do most new books get these days? It feels like a constant struggle for everyone.

I've never heard that before - I don't suppose you could remember where it came from?

In any case... it sounds ... I've forgotten the word I want. It may come back. BUT IN ANY CASE - we know publicity matters. Publishers mightn't want to take risk on people who don't get much publicity. Women themselves mightn't think of being an author because they don't hear about female authors all the time.

Plausible. That's the word.

That said... how many reviews do most new books get these days? It feels like a constant struggle for everyone.
There’s been a pretty large study that supports this (not just for genre writers but all female writers). I’ll hoke around when I have time but I can assure you it’s statistically very much the case.

Thanks Jo - would you believe I'd seen that article but completely forgotten about it? So much bias left to undo.

It’s quite old now - I wonder if things have improved? Although I think there was a more recent Irish study which found the same.

I'd put a tenner on "Some but not all that much". Not that those publications matter hugely to SFF. Tbh, I think a more interesting study would be to compare GR reviews for male and female authors publishing at similar times/levels - I tried doing it with one comparison and they had the same amount of reviews, but the man had twice as many ratings...

But anyway, I digress. Youse are awesome, the world is not.

It’s quite old now - I wonder if things have improved? Although I think there was a more recent Irish study which found the same.

I also wonder how this applies to reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, etc.

(My first sense is that they would be worse, but I hope I'm wrong.)

I've thought a time or two of leaving a review but since I was quoted in your blurb I wasn't sure if that was kosher.

I also wonder how this applies to reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, etc.

(My first sense is that they would be worse, but I hope I'm wrong.)

I've thought a time or two of leaving a review but since I was quoted in your blurb I wasn't sure if that was kosher.
Definitely kosher! Please do. If you clearly put in it that you received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review, all should be well.

Just don’t mention any bungs you were given :D

(That’s a joke, Amazon!)

Just don’t mention any bungs you were given
Why would anyone object to some rubber stoppers? ;)
bungs-10_1.jpg

I found them very useful when I used to brew my own beer