(Found) seeking: space adventure book, man picked up on earth and works way up, to get the girl with aid of a faithful creature

hydra3333

Hello. Seeking an old space adventure book.

The plot was along the lines of an earth person (possibly a hobo? in the snow?) is somehow aboard a ship landed on earth, becomes a servant, eyes the girl, and works his way through adventures up to dazzling heights, a lord or something, and gets the girl from the baddy in the end.
And maybe is temporarily along on a planet with some desert creatures investigating a crashed spaceship? (or, not).
I recall an odd many armed creature somehow becomes his faithful servant who possibly saves him at the cost of its own life. The front cover had a pic of the creature.
"The Odyssey" or some title like that rings a bell.

Sorry for being confused, it was a very long time ago.

No worries, hydra3333 - you're doing just fine! The folks here love a challenge, and some may come along soon to ask a few pointed questions about the story that may help bring forth some hidden memories.

In the meantime, though this isn't a perfect match, what about A Martian Odyssey, by Stanley G. Weinbaum? It's an oldie though - here is a link to the Wikipedia article about this story from 1934.

Good luck, CC

ps - the second part of your description sounds more like A Martian Odyssey than the first - could there be two stories here, instead of one?

Thank you for the link, Cat's Cradle !

Having read the page you linked, I then did recall a little more and eventually ended up here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Odyssey
and there it was :giggle: (with a different cover). It's funny prior googling didn't reveal it :giggle:

Thank you so much ! Now I just need to find it on ebay or amazon and purchase it.

I am now as Happy as Larry ! :D

Best Regards!

edit: and here is the cover I had goodshowsir.co.uk/?p=830

So glad you found it! I had to Google 'Happy as Larry', and now that I know its origins, I have a new phrase. :)

Amazon.com, the US version, has copies of the book for sale through third party vendors (never sure how safe it is to go through vendors); here is a link:

I'm not sure if it's available through them in Europe. Good luck with your other searches, CC

My brother's name is Laurence. The only thing that pisses him off more than having his name spelled with a W, is being called Larry.

(Except, even worse, is "Scooter." But no one outside of the immediate family remembers that moniker since he was 6 or 7 years old.)

Hello. Seeking an old space adventure book.

The plot was along the lines of an earth person (possibly a hobo? in the snow?) is somehow aboard a ship landed on earth, becomes a servant, eyes the girl, and works his way through adventures up to dazzling heights, a lord or something, and gets the girl from the baddy in the end.
And maybe is temporarily along on a planet with some desert creatures investigating a crashed spaceship? (or, not).
I recall an odd many armed creature somehow becomes his faithful servant who possibly saves him at the cost of its own life. The front cover had a pic of the creature.
"The Odyssey" or some title like that rings a bell.

The book is Galactic Odessey by Keith LAUMER, also the creator of the Retief character, as well as the BOLO series. If memory serves me right Galactic Odyssey came out about 1967. Good luck. Enjoyable read. Along that same line he also wrote EARTHBLOOD which was another fantastic story I highly recommend. Enjoy Mike in Mesa

The book is Galactic Odessey by Keith LAUMER, also the creator of the Retief character, as well as the BOLO series. If memory serves me right Galactic Odyssey came out about 1967. Good luck. Enjoyable read. Along that same line he also wrote EARTHBLOOD which was another fantastic story I highly recommend. Enjoy Mike in Mesa
Thank you !

Back