(Found) seeking SciFi book/story; a person who has periodic fits and increases intelligence each time

hydra3333

Hello, seeking what is a very likely an old book or short story read many years ago.
A character has something happen to him and then has a series of fits, each time increasing in intelligence.
Thanks !

Does he start mentally sub-normal and (as he is on an experimental treatment course to improve intelligence) peak with the realisation that the treatment cannot work? He then reverts to his original sub-normal state.

If so that's "Flowers for Algernon".

It was originally a 1959 short story, but it was also made into a novel.

Thank you. The plot summary of that one indicates a "sad ending" ?

The one I recall may have been a short story, the protagonist (him?her?) eludes pursuers each time until uses final super intelligence to manipulate space/time to escape entirely.

There was an Outer Limits episode with David McCallum as the person gaining intelligence... He was evolving, eventually becoming a huge-headed super-intelligent 'Human.'

Ah, both of your promptings induced me to recall more of it.
The protagonist saves the world at the end and dies.

A bit more of a search and it turns out the book is "One Against Time" by Astron del Martin.

A huge thank you !

No one else I know is interested in SciFi and I would never have found it.

edit: how to I change the title to add Found ?

Thank you. The plot summary of that one indicates a "sad ending" ?

The one I recall may have been a short story, the protagonist (him?her?) eludes pursuers each time until uses final super intelligence to manipulate space/time to escape entirely.
Definitely not 'Flowers...' then :giggle:

Back