Films that Give an Insight into the Culture of a Location

AlexH

I thought about this after seeing an article about SFF books from around the world. I think I've seen a film filmed in or made in every country I've visited, and even though those based on true stories are fictional to varying degrees, get insights from the films I wouldn't otherwise. And there's always truth in fiction. Whether I've been to the various countries or not, I think seeing such a range of films over the years has helped me become broader-minded.

Departures: A beautiful, moving and occasionally funny insight into 'moving on', about a cellist who takes a job preparing dead for funerals.

The Breadwinner: Set in Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban in 2001. All things I knew about, but when I see them put to characters and a story - even animated - the horrible reality seems to hit home even more. But even in such horrible situations, humanity often shines through.

The Golden Dream: Three children from Guatemala try to reach the US via Mexico.

I, Daniel Blake: I've experienced the British benefits system and found this film depressingly realistic. One scene in particular broke my heart. Raining Stones is another Ken Loach film that portrays how decent people - often because they love their family (particuarly their children) - can end up in desperate situations.

Leave No Trace: The realities of trying to live in America's wilderness. I don't quite know how it did it to me, but it turned out to be one of my very favourite films.

I pay very close attention to the props and scenery in any black and white film made pre 60s, some of the older ones have a sense of clarity from the way the film was made such that sometimes I can get lost in the background of the movie. There is a lot of ordinary history of things that isn't easy to find without a lot of searching.

I pay very close attention to the props and scenery in any black and white film made pre 60s, some of the older ones have a sense of clarity from the way the film was made such that sometimes I can get lost in the background of the movie. There is a lot of ordinary history of things that isn't easy to find without a lot of searching.
Often I find the setting and background is the most interesting thing, even in a good film!

Cal is a great film to understand Northern Ireland from the nationalist perspective - it depicts the Belfast of my childhood very accurately. Graeme Reid’s Billy Plays televised by the BBC are a great understanding of the Unionist culture in particular.

The Crying Game is also good but some of it might mislead those who don’t already know NI well.

Japanese films. It must be truly terrible having to live in a city and knowing that, very soon, a giant monster is going to attack

Kandahar. Like The Breadwinner, set in Afghanistan and gives a good insight of the culture. It also has a memorable scene of dozens of prosthetic limbs being dropped by parachute to amputees, who are arguing who gets what on the ground.