Kindle Fire issue

anno

Hiya, so I gotta good deal and upgraded from my original old Kindle to a Fire and overall I am well impressed,however, my vast haul of classic ebooks ( some of which came from ‘other’ than Amazon sources) are not available / able to be seen.

Does anyone know a way to put them on?

Tried via Calibre to no avail And that you can email them to yourself somehow (too many) any ideas guys and girls?

Also tried via an SD card but won’t recognise formats, I think they’ve done an Apple and frozen out any third party sourcing...

Are you able to connect both Kindle's to your PC via USB - at the same time - and then (using Windows Explorer) copy the contents of your "Documents" folder from the old Kindle into the new one?

I tried to link the Fire with my PC (telling my PC to treat the Fire as a USB storage device), but, unlike with the "real" Kindle, no files and no directories were shown, so that was a waste of time.

I did notice, when I got the Fire (earlier this year), that although the titles were shown, the books had to be downloaded in order to read them (by tapping on the individual titles). Also, the books shown initially are not all those available: you have to click on (depending on which screen you're being shown) "See all of your books" or "All".

One issue I did have was that if I bought the book using the Fire, it only appeared on the Fire, but if I bought it using my original Kindle, it appeared on both. (I have no idea what happens when one buys a book on the website, as I have never** bought a book that way.

** - To limit my book buying -- which might just have got out of hand :whistle: -- I've restricted myself to using the not particularly user-friendly interface on my Kindle (no physical keyboard, just a lot of cursor-moving through a virtual one).

I think your Fire will only read .mobi .doc. .docx and PDF. If your books are any of those except .mobi, and you've mailed them to your Fire (or otherwise gotten them there) then they should appear in Documents, not among your books.

I've mailed a couple of books at a time to my Fire, but I've never tested how many I can send that way at once.

I've also found that some stuff will only be displayed if it's in the documents folder.

The fire is wonderful for non-fiction books with loads of pictures/photos. The high definition combined with regular cut price sales on Amazon means that I have a collection of books that would have cost me a great deal more in print form. :)

Hi all thanks for coming back, same thing when attached to pc not recognised message and no ‘image’ for want of a better term, and all in correct format.
My kindle account has all documents but not recognised by the Fire - frustrating...

Ignore previous contents: I've found the Docs App.

EDIT: but the Fire isn't showing me the attached document that I emailed (although I can see it -- and read it -- on my Kindle Reader). :confused:

Last edited:
None of the above have worked the new Fire does not show as a storage device on the PC or via Dropbox, basically if you don’t buy direct from Amazon and it loads via their Cloud account you cannot access

None of the above have worked the new Fire does not show as a storage device on the PC or via Dropbox, basically if you don’t buy direct from Amazon and it loads via their Cloud account you cannot access

It may be an error with the Kindle - it may be worth emailing Amazon about the issue.

Because if Amazon are no longer going to allow non-Amazon documents to be read, that's going to kill my PDF magazines I buy.

If your books actually show in your Kindle Account, my fix would be, go back to your Amazon account. From there "Manage Your Account" and then "Manage your Content and Devices" select the works you want to move to your Fire, and click on "Deliver" you will have the option to deliver that content to your Fire.

I have a Kindle Fire 10", bought about a year and a half ago. It shows up as a device when I plug it into my PC, and I can transfer documents, no problem. I actually read many PDFs on it -- I use the WPS Office app.

Stupid question probably but is your USB port working. I have a faulty one on my PC. It doesn't recognise the kindle but it does on another USB port. Or perhaps there's a problem with the connecting cable or socket in the kindle itself as Brian says.

Seems strange that you can only download directly from Amazon.

Just thought I'd mention it.

So, it recognises the Kindle, however it just shows as Fire with no access to any folders.
The books in question were not bought via Amazon so do not appear in my account,if books are not here I cannot deliver.
I now have some books on my mini SD card, however when opened they do not scan - it produces wingdings type hieroglyphics with Chinese writing!
My original Kindle shows up with sub folder via the same USB port, so again not sure why this doesn’t work!

That's really wierd! The wingdings stuff probably means that the format is not recognised by the reader. Apart from that I'm stumped :(

With some of these devices when plugged into your computer's USB will only see folders etc. if you are logged into the device as well as your PC. If you are not logged in then the contents of the device are hidden. This is to prevent unauthorised access. So check you are logged in on both Fire and PC when they are connected together.

This happens with my Android phone. If I just plug it into my computer I see the device but can't see any folders etc. on it. Log into the phone and internal and SD memory immediately appear on my computer's explorer.