A. Bertram Chandler

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
On a recommendation by @BAYLOR (cheers! (y) I owe a pint) I downloaded A. Bertram Chandler's John Grimes series. I just finished the first story The Road to the Rim and it was a cracker.

John Grimes is the kind of character that fans of Horatio Hornblower, Honor Harrington, and Nicholas Seafort will enjoy. Sure it's a bit dated and quaint at times, but the action holds up and the pace is something modern writers would do to emulate. I may put up a proper review shortly but for now I think this character deserves a resurgence and some respect.

I'm mostly familiar with his Rim World series including the Grimes novels; however he does have few other novels.
I was reading him way back when I was also reading Kieth Laumer's Retief series.
Slightly different in tone yet for some reason they were easy to switch from one to the other.

I'm mostly familiar with his Rim World series including the Grimes novels; however he does have few other novels.
I was reading him way back when I was also reading Kieth Laumer's Retief series.
Slightly different in tone yet for some reason they were easy to switch from one to the other.

I also have his book Kelly Country. It's an alt history science fiction novel .:cool:

I agree , the Retief comparison is a good one. :)

Last edited:
I have the Baen collected volume of the first four novels, as shown below. It will rise in the TBR order following your recommendation, thanks.

1565236706277.png

Baen actually collect all the Grimes books and stories into 6 volumes! I have only the first.

I have the ace edition of chandler, volumes 1. 2 and 3 each book has two novels. There are other beyond that.

On a recommendation by @BAYLOR (cheers! (y) I owe a pint) I downloaded A. Bertram Chandler's John Grimes series. I just finished the first story The Road to the Rim and it was a cracker.

John Grimes is the kind of character that fans of Horatio Hornblower, Honor Harrington, and Nicholas Seafort will enjoy. Sure it's a bit dated and quaint at times, but the action holds up and the pace is something modern writers would do to emulate. I may put up a proper review shortly but for now I think this character deserves a resurgence and some respect.

Just finished the last John Grimes story in the 3 book collection I have . Next up, his novel Kelly Country .:cool:

Finished it, and you’re both right, it’s a cracker. It’s like a juve Heinlein in subject matter (but for adults with swearing, sex and horror), mixed with van Vogt-style events every 800 words, and more than a dash of Honorverse adventure. It’s more fun than Weber though. I shall read on!

Are we the only Bertram readers here?

I just finished Chandlers novel Kelly Country I very highly recommend it . Its an excellent book ! :cool: (y)

Thanks Baylor. Yes, and I finished To Prime the Pump last week also. It was a fine pulpy yarn, though not quite as good as The Road to the Rim.

Downloaded To the Galactic Rim (again, on Baylor's recommendation), and haven't enjoyed a book so much since I discovered Weber's HH. Just starting book 3 of the collected series, Galactic Courier, and have the other three tucked away on the Kindle.

Bick said:
It’s like a juve Heinlein in subject matter (but for adults with swearing, sex and horror)
As accurate a summing-up as I've ever read...(y)

I've been following this thread with interest, as I've never read A. Bertram Chandler ... you've all convinced me, and I've gotten The Road to the Rim. It's on my TBR pile, and I'll post back when I finish it.
There are so many books in the series! I hope this first one speaks to me, because this could be a long partnership with a series, which I'm always happy to have. Thanks, all, CC

I've been following this thread with interest, as I've never read A. Bertram Chandler ... you've all convinced me, and I've gotten The Road to the Rim. It's on my TBR pile, and I'll post back when I finish it.
There are so many books in the series! I hope this first one speaks to me, because this could be a long partnership with a series, which I'm always happy to have. Thanks, all, CC

I think you'll like the John Grimes stories . :cool:(y)

Saw this thread and I had to have a look at my collection. Haven't read any Chandler in a little while but I've always enjoyed the stories. I have the Ace doubles Books 1 to 5 (all John Grimes adventures; late 1970's printing) plus a much older Ace double from 1963 The Ship from Outside and Beyond the Galactic Rim (which is a collection of short stories).

The Ship from Outside has some interesting descriptions of the characters in the front:

Derek Calver: He was an excellent navigator until it came to charting a human soul.
Sonya Verrill: Love in free-fall was her specialty.
Jane Calver: Space was her home - until she went off the deep end.
Bill Maudsley: He had knowledge of the unknown - and it destroyed him.
Levine: His psionic powers could span galaxies, but he refused to read the mind of a dead man.

I had a look on Amazon at the recent reprints of some of Chandlers books, by Baen. Sheesh, look at those covers.... definitely some candidates for GoodShowSir on there. I prefer my older covers.

This thread got me checking the entry on Wikipedia for Chandler; I had no idea that he wrote that many books in this series. Any stories that really stand out?

Will