Gerry Anderson's UFO

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Picked this up cheap on DVD recently. It's been many years since I've seen it but it's still surprisingly good despite time obviously overtaking much of the technology on display(it ran from 1970 - 1973). It's also interesting watching these old shows just to see how many times people are stuffing cigarettes into their mouths. It's revealed in the first episode that the aliens might be coming to Earth to harvest organs but I don't think they'd be very interested in human lungs from this time period.

I think I prefer this to Space 1999.

So, if you're looking for something entertaining from yester-year, give this a try:)

I think UFO needs to be revived. And with the same costumes.
And hair styles. I love that metallic hair...
I think the vehicles in it were fantastic.

I have never seen this series, which is surprising as I am a seventies child. :) I am familiar with much of the designs, though.

I may need to pick up the DVD and binge watch the series.

And hair styles. I love that metallic hair...
I think the vehicles in it were fantastic.
Thing is about the hair.....there was an episode where one of the moonbase women returns to Earth and her hair is a normal colour. It leads me to ask - why do they have to wear purple wigs on the moon?

Other than that, really enjoying the series:)

Thing is about the hair.....there was an episode where one of the moonbase women returns to Earth and her hair is a normal colour. It leads me to ask - why do they have to wear purple wigs on the moon?

Other than that, really enjoying the series:)
Couple of answers here.

Id like to see it revived with much better writing , acting and no Colonel Lake :D
I didn't think the writing was too bad actually. Sure, it covered all the usual stock scenarios but it's not alone in that sin. It might look a bit hokey because of the way our modern world has left its visuals behind but I've seen a lot worse more modern stuff than this:)

I only started watching it because I had a schoolboy crush on Ayshea Brough from seeing her on Lift Off

s-l300.jpg

Actually, @BAYLOR now that I've watched all the episodes, you're probably right about better writing being needed. The last few episodes were quite lame and repetitive. I suspect there was no money left and therefore the scripts suffered.

I'd seen UFO set photos and publicity stills, but I hadn't seen a single episode until recently (on YouTube.) Now I know why everyone wants to go back to the moon.

When I was a kid I lived in Slough , not far from Gerry Anderson's studio . It was just a factory building on a industrial estate . There would always be parts of used film sets in the car park . I would take bits and use them on my model railway . So I would have British Rail steam trains going past scenery last used on Fireball XL5 .

Last edited:
When I was a kid I lived in Slough , not far from Gerry Anderson's studio . It was just a factory building on a industrial estate . There would always be parts of used film sets in the car park . I would take bits and use them on my model railway . So I would have British Rail steam trains going past scenery last used on Fireball XL5 .

Wow, amazing! Do you happen to have any photos of your model railway?

My mind now contains a moving image of some unfortunate locomotive racing up Fireball XL5's launch track.... :eek:

Completely off topic but you reminded me that I recently saw a photo of Rod Stewart's railway layout in a newspaper (an american city from the 1940s I believe) and it looked utterly amazing. I would have succumbed to the model train bug if only I'd had the room :(