Iain Banks' Dying Wish

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
That would be very cool.

I have one read the Cassini Division by MacLeod. I enjoyed it, but I don't remember too much of it.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
I like MacLeod well enough, but the Culture is a big ask. I fear it would fall into the realm of fan fiction. Superior fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
I like MacLeod well enough, but the Culture is a big ask. I fear it would fall into the realm of fan fiction. Superior fan fiction, but fan fiction nonetheless.
Yeah I'd be wary too. I haven't read and MacLeod (one book though in the TBR pile) but this isn't WoT where books needed to be written to finish the story. It would be new Culture stories and invariably the new authors voice and perspective is going to come through. And for all Bank's faults in the Culture universe, his style and voice made his books special.

However, perhaps Banks discussed or even wrote down what future Culture novels he was planning with MacLeod?? That might make a difference.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
According to the article Banks left no notes and just told MacLeod to go forward as he saw fit.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Banks isn't going to make a dying statement like that unless he absolutely trusted MacLeod to write great Culture stories.

I would definitely buy these books if they were ever written.

picklematrix

I'd buy these books if written. It's a little different from the WOT scenario, in which Jordans central story needed to be finished.

This may indicate that Banks had some outlines ready to be drafted, or some bare bones 8deas at least. If so, it would be nice for them to be published.

I haven't read Ken MacLeod, though I am now curious of his work.

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
It's a bit of a no-win situation, though - if they're good, he's cashing in on Banks' universe-building - if they're not, he's sullying Banks's name and memory.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
When Banks announced he was ill he said that it would have been nice to write one more massive Culture book but he didn't have the time. I think MacLeod could do a good job of it, but @pyan is correct. He'll be crucified by the internet either way. Better that we be happy with what we've got.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I am very uncertain about this. I have read some of Macleod's work and I have found it very variable (much more so than Banks) with a couple of good but not excellent books (most recently Newton's Wake was very good) and some real duds. There are a number of issues in my opinion:

Macleod shares Banks's political views quite closely but he is much more inclined to give them air in his writing.

Macleod's writing style is very, very different to Banks's. In particular he does not have that dark sense of humour that pervades all of Banks's work. Also I don't think he can weave multiple threads together anything like as well as Banks could. Though this is something that developed with Banks's maturity as an author; it was not really present in the earlier books. However I have now come to expect that complexity of skillfully interwoven threads in the Culture novels and I'm not sure Macleod could deliver on that.

It is not like it is an unfinished series; there are no loose ends that need tying up. Whilst I love the Culture universe (though not totally all of the books set in it) I'm not left with a desperate need for more, possibly/probably, inferior books set within it.

Bottom line; although Macleod was undoubtedly one of Banks's best friends I really don't think he is qualified to step into his shoes. If anyone is qualified to do that, and I'm not sure I particularly want anyone to do so, then I think Neal Asher or Peter Hamilton would do a much better job; both have writing styles much more similar to Banks's own than does Macleod. (Though I doubt either would want to.)