August 2019: Reading Thread

Brent Weeks - Shadow's Edge. Night Angel Trilogy Book 2.
Just taken a strange turn of events by introducing a female coven of magic users totally unheard of in the first book.

Last night was our book group and one of the books chosen was The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. So I have started that today, there is an extra incentive for us men in the group we have to write a review on Waterstones website. Apparently they want a man's view of the book, quite a challenge for me.

Last night was our book group and one of the books chosen was The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. So I have started that today, there is an extra incentive for us men in the group we have to write a review on Waterstones website. Apparently they want a man's view of the book, quite a challenge for me.
what, the review or the man's point of view? :) lolo (no offense meant)

The Shadow of what was Lost - James Islington, 25% into it and it has picked up very nicely, good pacing from a slow start.

now reading the season of the witch - david golemon. as anyone read catherine coulter? what do you think of her?

as anyone read catherine coulter? what do you think of her?
I think I maybe have, a couple of books about this man and his wife in the FBI, parts of a series. Not really memorable cos I can't think of the plots.

Have I got the right author or does she write genre books?

I was in a book group for a while, twice weekly meetings in our local library.

I packed it in cos I was turning up all eager to discuss the 'big plot twist at the end' or 'the reveal of who was the killer' etc in the final pages....only to listen to discussions about the cafe curtains in chapter three (and some of them would then grumble about spoilers cos they hadn't read even that far).

I was like six books ahead so not much point me being there. They even started this truly terrible thing where they would read aloud an especially liked couple of pages. It was dire listening to flat monotones with no concept of pronunciation at a very slow pace

I was in a book group for a while, twice weekly meetings in our local library.

I packed it in cos I was turning up all eager to discuss the 'big plot twist at the end' or 'the reveal of who was the killer' etc in the final pages....only to listen to discussions about the cafe curtains in chapter three (and some of them would then grumble about spoilers cos they hadn't read even that far).

I was like six books ahead so not much point me being there. They even started this truly terrible thing where they would read aloud an especially liked couple of pages. It was dire listening to flat monotones with no concept of pronunciation at a very slow pace

Our group is run by a couple of people from Waterstones, and they make sure that only in print books are chosen. Of course it is a challenge to read something different.

Currently reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. A little behind in my reading, I hadn't realized it's been six years since this was a breakout seller for Beukes.

The plot is simple enough: Time traveling serial killer being sought by surviving victim. But the short, precisely written chapters are filled with enough period setting description in and around Chicago to ground the reader, and enough character development, particularly of the victims, to engage sympathy and ratchet up the suspense. Add in some pithy commentary like, “She would disappear folded like origami into her own dreams” (lifted from GoodReads, so apparently I'm not the only one who liked that turn of phrase) and the first 100 pages have made for lightning fast, satisfying reading. I see why it was a popular thriller and I'm looking forward to reading more this weekend.

Randy M.

Currently reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes
I bought that when it first came out in UK and gave it to my wife (a dedicated celebrity gossip magazine reader)
I got the predicted response within two days
"You have it Danny, I don't unnerstaaand it"

I could see it being confusing for readers not familiar with genre conventions and innovations. Lots of jumping back and forth between protagonist and antagonist point of view.

Randy M.

just finished season of the witch by david golemon. not bad, better than the last 3 I think. but... i think the author is going away from the topic... like jonathan maberry in the joe ledger series. both authors beguin with science and now are more into urban fantasy, horror... i mean, they should make an effort of keeping things in a science frame.
by the way i read there are text prevision algorithms that are been used to write books... is there such a thing available to download?
i'm curious about how good are they

Currently reading The Machinery by Gerrard Cowan. Fantasy about a civilisation who's leaders are chosen by The Machinery, but there is a prophecy saying that it will fail in its ten thousandth year, causing the Ruin. Interesting so far.

Well they will not be getting my review, what a horrible novel and it is meant to be a classic. It jumped backwards and forwards too much for my liking. Of course it involves a religious sect/cult order, and the worst kind. 0/5. Not a classic in my opinion.

Well they will not be getting my review, what a horrible novel and it is meant to be a classic. It jumped backwards and forwards too much for my liking. Of course it involves a religious sect/cult order, and the worst kind. 0/5. Not a classic in my opinion.
I gave it a try years ago, total sh*te

I have just started The Brothers Vonnegut: Science and Fiction in the House of Magic (2015) by Ginger Strand, a double biography of writer Kurt and scientist Bernard, concentrating on the time they both worked for General Electric, Kurt in Public Relations and Bernard in the research lab (the so-called "house of magic") working on weather control.

I've just finished reading Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise, by Katherine Rundell. A lovely little book about children's books and why adults should read them as well. Don't turn your back on them they can be very enlightening. Which then led me to read a current book for children, The Land of Roar, by Jenny McLachlan. A land invented by twins that suddenly becomes real, full of magic and adventure.

Just read My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier, and The Fresco by Sheri Tepper.

Finally made it through outstanding books (they were ebooks on loan from my local library so prioritised) to start on Relic by Alan Dean Foster.

Back